Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Gamakatsu SL12S  (Read 2305 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Gamakatsu SL12S
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »
I probaby have over $100 in these hooks.  They have heavy gauge wire, a nice smooth curved semicircle point like a Teimco 600SP (one of my all time favorite hooks), so I bought them with confidence...feeling certain that I had a perfect Hook for tarpon.

WRONG!!!!!!!!
We have lost over 30 strikes and leaping fish with only one landed on this blasted hook.  So many almost lifetime memories, but these hooks just wouldn't sink in.

Jay and I switched to Owner Aki's and Gamakatsu SC15's and we were back in business with 5 fish landed and very few lost.

Save the SL12S's for smallies trout and stripers, but I would advise to keep them away from tarpon unless you want your hopes dashed by watching a fish throw your hook while 5 feet in the air.

That's my feedback from the mangroves.