Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Mystery Fly  (Read 1733 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Mystery Fly
« on: March 16, 2006, 06:21:59 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the name of a certain fly. It looks just like a pheasant tail nymph, except that for the body and thorax, instead of pheasant tail, it is tied with some sort of reflective silver material. It almost looks like a pheasant tail nymph made with tin foil. The "legs" and "tail" are made with pheasant just like on a normal bhpt nymph.

Anybody have any idea what this fly is called?

My wife randomly picked them out (she doesn't remember which flyshop) while getting stocking stuffers for me last Christmas. At first I kind of ignored them, but on a lark I tried one a few weeks ago and it is absolutely deadly. I figure the trout must think the silvery stuff is a bug that has surrounded itself with a bubble to rise to the surface and emerge. I need to figure out the name so I can find some more and stock up my flybox.

TIA for the help.

bd

TFTN Admin

• Administrator
Re: Mystery Fly
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:47:33 PM »
Better hang on to that last one, or better yet lets photo it! Give me one and I can tie up a few for you ;D
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. ~Thoreau

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Mystery Fly
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »
I have confirmed that the fly is a silver lightning bug.  Kudos to the Cumberland Transit guys for the positive ID.

bd