Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: To 7 Weight or 8 Weight  (Read 4159 times)

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
To 7 Weight or 8 Weight
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:04:29 PM »
Question : I am thinking of adding another rod to the collection this X-Mas - Looking for a rod that will preform on Stripers & the yearly trip to the Keys, LA Red Fish, what is the rod and reel and line of choice ? All open thanks for any input

Rockyraccoon

• Rocky Top Anglers
Re: To 7 Weight or 8 Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:33 PM »
Personally, I'd go with the 8wt.

Might be a little heavy for typical bass situations, but it would probably work well if your striper fishing with B - A, or hooking big reds....and would be enough rod to turn over most any flies and handle most stuff that might get on the other end of it.
Goo Goo Ga Choob!

I'd like to go where the pace of life's slow. Could you beam me somewhere, Mister Scott?
Any old place here on Earth or in space.You pick the century and I'll pick the spot.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »
I'm an odd numbered rod guy so I like the 9wt. ;D

The Xi2 9wt is the cats meow for what you’re describing. Pair it with Sage Equator floating line, a 250, 350 and 500 grain integrated shooting head and you’ll have a very versatile system. For a cheaper version the TFO TiCrX is a nice rod. Either one I'd build  myself with high-end ceramic guides and better grade cork and seat. Once you go all ceramic on big rods you won’t want to go back.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »
Having owned an 8, i'm with Mike, i like the odd balls, i got a 7 & a 9, the seven will handle most situations the 9 will rock them.
Although the 7 maybe a lil small for big stripers :o

Grumpy

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:34:46 AM »
Thanks for the info : Mike who makes the Xi2 rod > and are you interested in custom building a rod for someone ? How much do you charge ?

Grumpy thank you for your post, I am really wanting to make the right choice here I have already gotten one 8 wt this year I picked up a Orvis Zero G for a sweet heart of a deal 100 dollars )

The 9 does make sense but does it get heavy all day, that is a big rod to be slinging all day along

RSiegmann

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:01:11 AM »
For the salt ... and ever present wind conditions ... I'd also throw support behind the 9wts ...

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:19:48 AM »
PM sent
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Rockyraccoon

• Rocky Top Anglers
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:05:53 AM »
I have already gotten one 8 wt this year I picked up a Orvis Zero G for a sweet heart of a deal 100 dollars )

Sounds to me like you knoced somebody in the head, took their rod, then felt bad about it and gave them a hundred dollar tip for when they woke up!  ;)

Man that's a heck of a deal on a smoking rod!

I personally do my streamer fishing, warm water fishing, light to medium salt fishing, and all other types of heavy fly fishing with a medium action (always been my favorite action) 8 wt Zero G.

Those Zero G's in an 8 wt and a 200 -350 grain sinking line, feel a lot like a five or six weight and that casts a lot like it too. Light weight and powerful, I can fish it all day without that fatigue in my shoulder late in the day.

I'm jealous of the great deal! That's an awesome buy.
Goo Goo Ga Choob!

I'd like to go where the pace of life's slow. Could you beam me somewhere, Mister Scott?
Any old place here on Earth or in space.You pick the century and I'll pick the spot.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:21:49 PM »
I would go with the 9 wt.  I have been red fishing with a 7 and a 9 and I would rather have to much then not enough.  The wind in the Keys is tough at times and it is frusterating when you can see tails but cant get a fly to them do to wind.  Furthermore,  a 9 is more condusive to certain types of fly fishing you are talking about.  I have a TICRX 7 and 9 and both of them are SWEEEEEETTTTT.  The nine has a back bone on it that can move a truck, but still has enough touch to lay some flies under docks at night when you are snook fishing.  The seven is my favorite rod that I have even though I dont catch a lot on it whenever I take it out to priest.  Go big first so you dont have to pass up big fish,

Icthus
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:29:16 PM »
Thank you very much : this site is sooooo back in action doing what it has alway intended on doing, helping anglers with questions and concerns.  We had a week or so of hick ups but I feel here lately all questions and commits are getting great attention and a lot of good, positive, feedback

Icthus Thanks for the post I already have an 8 weight so I guess the big questions should have been to 7 wt or 9 wt but ---- I like what you had to say about the 9wt and that goes for Mike and Grumpy as well ( not that I am an odd weight guy ) I believe that I should own a 1-10 weight ( always ready to fish if someone should invite me to a trout stream, bass lake, river, or the keys )

Just shy of fixing  cancer this site really knows how to help with problems and concerns