Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cross Wraps.....  (Read 5641 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Cross Wraps.....
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:20:20 AM »
I finally got around to putting together the first of the skippie towing rods I've been wanting to build over the last month or so. Am currently working on decorative cross wraps on the butt of the rod and am stymied by something that hopefully someone can help out with. 

As you can see from this picture I'm just using a simple open diamond (double chevron) pattern on this wrap.

Assuming that the gaps between the diamonds are all the same size and that the pattern repeats on the top and bottom of the rod, the "diamonds" on each side of the rod are offset from each other by half the distance of the gap between the "diamonds".  Is there some way to avoid this? It seems to me that geometry alone makes this unavoidable but maybe not!  The only reason this makes a difference to me is that when you go to put the terminating wraps on the end of the crosswrap this means that the gaps between the terminating wrap and the last diamond cannot be even if you want the same number of "diamonds" to appear on the top and bottom of the rod. Likewise unless you choose to cover up part of one of the diamonds on the top or bottom of the rod then the gap between the last diamond and the terminating wrap cannot be the same size as the gap between the terminating wrap and the first diamond in the series on the same side of the rod.  That sounds way more complicated than it really is...maybe pictures will explain it better. The first two shots are of the top side of the rod and the next two are of the bottom of the rod. I have already put a terminating wrap on the end of the wraps closer to the tip of the rod. The end nearest the grip is still just taped in place.

Any suggestions here? How can you force the gaps between the terminating wraps and the first/last diamond on at least one side of the rod to be the same size without making the gaps on the opposite of the rod something completely inconsistent with the other?  Any help appreciated here.

Just fwiw here is a photo of how I did the guide wraps. I haven't finished dressing them yet...that little bit of blue on the right hand side of the picture outside the wrap isn't thread....

As for the crosswrap I haven't decided whether to keep this one or cut it off and start over at least to correct the slight misalignment of the diamonds on the top of the rod.    I might also just force the gaps between the terminating wraps and the first/last diamond on the top of the rod to be the same whatever that might mean about the pattern on the bottom of the rod.  Suggestions?

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: Cross Wraps.....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:47:13 AM »
I have no idea how to help you, but it sure is pretty.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »
Thanks Ron. 

What a bee-u-tee-ful afternoon it is! I'm gonna go find somewhere to cast a line for a little while.  ;D

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 01:10:26 PM »
Never mind... I figured out how to make it all symmetric . Cut it off and retied it this AM.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 08:37:22 AM »
Looking good Tim. I don't do any kind of weaves or really decorative wraps so I couldn't have helped much. Nice work though
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
Thanks Mike.

On the one hand it's kind've confusing at first but once you get started it's really pretty straight forward.

Here's what I wound up with after retying the crosswrap........

I'm really curious to see how this rod behaves towing large baits behind a planer board.  It's built on a Lamiglass blank that is 8.5 feet, moderate-fast action, one piece, rated for 30-60 lb line & 2-8 oz weight.  I forget which of the Fuji guides I put on there at the moment but they're actually designed to be used with wire line so there's no chance that mono or even braid is going to hurt them.  I sealed the underwraps on the guides to the blank before putting on the guides& overwraps.   I bought one of these reels (MXL 4.5:1)on ebay for it...I think I'm really going to like this reel too.

http://www.avetreels.com/avet_mxl_4.html

My next skippie rod project will be built on a St Croix blank....

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:22:26 AM »
Just wanted to say that I got to see that rod up close and personal yesterday. Drug skipjack around with it all day. Nice rod-The wraps and the reel match up very well.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."