Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Had a flock of Cedar Waxwings stop by today.  (Read 2736 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Had a flock of Cedar Waxwings stop by today.
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
They were gorging on these bushes we have that are full of little blue and purple berries, I think its an invasive. Nothing else seems to like them but the waxwings sure did. There were maybe 100 of them and they were quite accepting of my approach. I thought to myself, you guys haven't met the Hawks around my place evidently...  I think the berries were going through them like water. You could find the birds (they blend in very well) by listening to the poop hitting the leaves below them. Then all of a sudden, one of them made an unusual twirp and the whole flock took off to the west. Just a few yards behind them an agile Coopers Hawk trailed. I'm betting they're missing a member by now.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Had a flock of Cedar Waxwings stop by today.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:12:37 AM »
More nice work Mike.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
Those are such cool birds, and great photos!

The berries look like privet, and bird poop is one of the main ways it gets around. The other is seeds getting washed into creeks and then flushed downstream onto the floodplain -- one reason why so many creek banks in middle Tennessee are impenetrable thickets of the stuff.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
Privet is a pain to get rid of in your yard. I know, I have tried.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
I dated a girl once who had impenetrable thickets on her privets.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
They called BD the weed whacker in High School.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »
Nice pics.

Brings back memories of the first time I ever saw cedar waxwings...
floating the Manistee River in Northern MI and watching them pick off a sporadic hex hatch.  Those bugs didn't stand a chance.  Made me realize why bugs tend to hatch in swarms.

Thanks for sharing Mike.