Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Tips and tricks.  (Read 14622 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Tips and tricks.
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
Here's a place holder for all those cool little knots or tips you learn but forget when you take a break for a few months  ;D.  I'll start off with one that I'll never forget the castwell knot.  This knot is simply amazing.  Saved me many times when welded loops fail or my fly lne broke because I went to 30 pound leader.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Tips and tricks.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »
Here's another one all the big fly chunkers should use. This one little cheap swivel will save welded loops, prevent line twist, prevent line tangles by preventing twist, won't have any negative effect on anything. Loop one on I promise you'll be impressed. 

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
Our friend Dave turned me onto this. I'd tried it with other running lines but never really liked it.
Then I tried Suffix. It took some time but I've pretty much gotten to where I prefer suffix over integrated lines. Here's why.
It's cheap. Buy Some rio t14 or T whatever,  some braided loops and your set. 
Casts for miles with little effort. Save the shoulders!
One spool of it will fill many reels and refills 
The mono casts easier and further. 
I'm just as accurate. Maybe more.
Generally less tangles. 
When all is lost simply cut the knotted section out and you're back on the water with brand new running line. 
Cut the heads off your old destroyed integrated lines, put a loop on them and they work great with the suffix. 

It's not for everyone and I wasn't a fan for awhile but it's really grown on me over the years and now I use it on all weights from 6 up.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
This shit works great sprayed on any fly or mono line, reels that are sticky, icy guides, etc etc. 

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »
Similar, I think Tectan is repackaged as Frog Hair.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
For us night fisherman these are a must. They will save your sight, prevent some serious pain, and they will keep those midges outa your eyes on your run back to the ramp at midnight. Because in the supreme, midges are all you have to worry about when running wide open at night   ;)

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
Best knot ever. Davy knot. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-NTVZAZ0xQA

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 07:34:26 AM »
Good stuff Mike ;)

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »
This is another great product to have around. Can be used like gink but it's a little thick. Works in a pinch though. Also great for applying to sinking tip fly lines and leaders. Can also be mixed with white gas to thin down and use as a dry pre treatment. 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
Got a white fiberglass boat? This is the best cleaner ever made. I can't tell you how it works except magic. It gets out stains that you couldn't buff out. All that's required is a simple wipe on wipe off.   

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »
Excellent tips and tricks. The Castwell knot is the bomb and bombproof for sure.

Swivels are awesome and a must for chunking. Seaguar is my go to for a less expensive version of Frog Hair.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »
Yoda's  tip o' the day.... Go fishing, It really improves your game!!  ;) ;) ;)
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »
Out of maybe 15 trips this summer I've pulled about +- 20 fish over the rails of the supreme from 15 to 30 pounds. Most of them were in the 20 to 25 pound range.  My games doing ok.  My right arm, not so much. 

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 05:04:15 AM »
Out of maybe 15 trips this summer I've pulled about +- 20 fish over the rails of the supreme from 15 to 30 pounds. Most of them were in the 20 to 25 pound range.  My games doing ok.  My right arm, not so much.

:o ;)

Looper Flies

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 07:12:59 AM »
Our friend Dave turned me onto this. I'd tried it with other running lines but never really liked it.
Then I tried Suffix. It took some time but I've pretty much gotten to where I prefer suffix over integrated lines. Here's why.
It's cheap. Buy Some rio t14 or T whatever,  some braided loops and your set. 
Casts for miles with little effort. Save the shoulders!
One spool of it will fill many reels and refills 
The mono casts easier and further. 
I'm just as accurate. Maybe more.
Generally less tangles. 
When all is lost simply cut the knotted section out and you're back on the water with brand new running line. 
Cut the heads off your old destroyed integrated lines, put a loop on them and they work great with the suffix. 

It's not for everyone and I wasn't a fan for awhile but it's really grown on me over the years and now I use it on all weights from 6 up.

This looks really cool.  I need to cast one of your rigs, Mike.  Let's set something up -- you need to sling this Clutch React 350
Fish on!