Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Pretty hard thing to sell down the river.  (Read 1038 times)

jladdsmith

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pretty hard thing to sell down the river.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »
He will be missed. Double recovery from cancer and to get taken out by complications from a virus.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »
I don't usually get tore up over losing a music icon. This one rips my heart out though.  I never met the man, but I feel like I know him and I'm certain he was an outstanding human being.  Pour a sip for Mr Prine.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

jladdsmith

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
I happened to talk to the man for about 5 seconds on the phone once and he was very personable.  Was sitting at the bar at Browns on a Sunday afternoon back when Kimbrough worked there and I happened to just be sitting next to Nanci Griffith.  We were all bullshitting and playing the jukebox and it just came up and Nanci called Mr. Prine to see what he was up to or maybe she knew, I don't remember.  Either way, he was on a little tour and was in Ireland at the time and had just got back to, or into his hotel room.  He said it was real nice to hear from them and somebody new and that he wished he could be there but he had to take a shower.  GMT-6 it could have been either, I guess.  Seriously, Nanci handed the phone to me and i just expressed that I was a fan and he said thank you, and that was pretty much it.  I don't know any of these people, really- just happened to be sitting there.

The coolest thing, though was that he used to shop at Bi-Rite on Belmont.  Saw him there a couple of times and didn't want to bother him, but needed to see what John Prine drove.  A big black 90's 4 door Cadillac with gold emblems and the Owner's 3rd generation wreath that you get when Cadillac knows you, also in gold.  This was in 2009 or so, and he could have had the newer models I'm sure, but I'm guessing he liked the one he had.