Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Obey Report 1/1/09  (Read 3553 times)

Travis C.

Obey Report 1/1/09
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
My dad and I went up for a little trout fishing on New Years Day. Since the Caney was up and moving we found the only wading water around. I can sum up the fishing with one word,"tough" or maybe I should use, "pointless" well maybe, "waste" or jus all of the above.  ;D  It was however the second time my dad has ever fished for trout and I told him we will only go to the Caney from now on you will have far better outings. There were only three fish caught and all stocker and under size. The water cut off at 7am and was slick as glass after that. It was more like fish still water for trout. None the less, I had a great time fishing with dad as it is something we don't do very much of any more. I wouldn't trade that crappy day on the water for nothing. But, I will make better memories next time on the Caney.

-Travis

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Obey Report 1/1/09
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
It is a good river but you might have hit it on a bad day.Try a Hare's ear next time you go there.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't have a better day.  Did you see any fish sipping at the surface?  They were all over when I was up there at Christmas, though they seemed to suddenly shut off somewhere around 3:00 p.m.

As long as I could see risers I was catching fish very consistently, but it got very hard when they stopped sipping.

You're correct that the Obey is pretty much stillwater fishing.  Very different from the Caney.

bd

Travis C.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
I did see some sippers after some bug skidding along the surface but never could get them to eat midges, sow bugs, scuds or anything of the like. I finally had what success I did have on a yellow soft hackle stripping it just under the surface. Part of it could have been to cold front too I guess but it was not one of our great days for sure. Maybe, I better fish the lower 5 miles by boat sometime too before write off this tailwater.

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:49 PM »
There's an island part of the way down.  It seems like my results seem to taper off below that island, but I don't spend enough time on the Obey, really.

I had good enough luck on Christmas (day after, technically) that I want to go back, though it's probably going to be a couple weeks since I've got some stuff to do to the boat first.

I still want to spend some time figuring out the winter trout on the lake side too.  There are some BIG rainbows up there, if someone put in the time to dial them in.

bd