Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Tips and tricks.  (Read 14351 times)

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Tips and tricks.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:59 PM »
Pliobond has kept many of my lines lasting for awhile for sure.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 07:58:59 AM »
If you don't have any you should.

Best stuff ever.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 07:59:43 AM »
Love this stuff so far!
RIO Level "T" Welding Tubing

Looks like heat shrink tubing. I can see how this would be a good thing.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 08:17:13 AM »
How does it work? Are you joining fly line to but section of a leader? If so, what kind of adhesive?

heat. no glue needed. way better than normal heat shrink tubing. the new T-material melts much more evenly than the old stuff, I about pulled my hair out trying to put loops in the old stuff and had zero confidence in the resulting loops.

I still have a fair bit of bulk Cortland braided mono for loops, too. If you don't mind the added bulk, they're about as close to 100% breaking strength as you're going to get on a loop to loop connection.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
Dave's right. I've welded loops into just about every kind of line I own. The worst is the clear intermediate lines. It took four tries for the 8wt version to get that one to hold. Kept melting the line. In the warmer months I prefer to use 40 pound Big Game running line connected to heads with welded loops. One of the great things about this is when you break a running line on an integrated line, you just cut the head off and weld a loop in it. Bam you've got a shooting head that even casts better (IMO) with the mono running line.

As an aside, many of us who love the mono running lines also hate snake guides. Pulling any kind of knot through a snake guide can be a PITA. It's hardly noticeable with a ring guide. Another reason why manufactures need to build rods for those of us who prefer shooting heads.

Last night in my attempt to weld a loop in the leader end of an 8wt I line I finally gave up and ended up just making a extra long braided mono loop connector. Connected that and insured it with pliobond and an 8# blood knot at the end of the braid. A Lefty Video turned me on to Pliobond and I've been a fan since.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956