Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Pour a sip for "The Man".  (Read 3757 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Pour a sip for "The Man".
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
Lefty Kreh, one of the pre-eminent sport fishermen of his time, died on Wednesday at his home in Cockeysville, Md., north of Baltimore. He was 93.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/obituaries/lefty-kreh-a-fly-fisherman-with-few-peers-is-dead-at-93.html
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Re: Pour a sip for "The Man".
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
Big sip poured.

I met Lefty at a big regional outdoor sports show where he was doing casting demonstrations. Somehow I got picked to have my cast critiqued, so I got up on the platform and let one fly. I was thirteen, had been flyfishing for maybe three years, and since my dad didn't flyfish I had never had any formal casting instruction other than watching TV shows and reading as many books as I could get my hands on. I doubt if that cast went 50', but Lefty beamed, said "You've been doing this a while!" and proceeded to show me how the timing on my haul was wrong and point out a few other things I could do better.

I guess it stuck.

jladdsmith

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:47 PM »
Well that's awesome, Dave.  You never dropped your passion for the sport, and inspired by the best.  That is really cool.  Made a life out of it.  Very Cool.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »
"Sip" Poured!!  :'(
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
Big glass poured. He will be missed in the industry as their are very few leaders in the industry like him these days.

Such big shoes. Thoughts and prayers to Larry and his family in this time of need.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
I first met Lefty in 1989, when TU had him at the Aquarium, Sam got to see his casting demo twice at Troutfest.

Dave,  Lefty ask Sam to come forward but he was to shy.

Lefty lived a very full life.

bee

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »
A gentle man and a great teacher.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
I was at a show in Utah the 2nd time I saw lefty, had grabbed a couple of rods,  found a casting pond with no one around & was laying the full 90' out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a 4" loop going down the pond, then past it where it piled up against the wall.
"SHIT" I murmured louder than I intended to, turned to look at Lefty smiling at me. He gave me a few tips, watched me & told me to pile it up, miraculously I did, reeled up because I figured I couldn't do it again.
We talked for awhile &he gave me the number to the folks carrying his yarn indicator, I sold the fire out of it at the shop for years. We were going to have him at the shop a few years back with TFO, he fell in a boat & hurt his hand, "DOC" told him to forget touring for a spell.
I saw him in Memphis years back & Charlotte at a show, he was the real deal.