Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Anyone been lately?  (Read 3135 times)

Travis C.

Anyone been lately?
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »
I am thinking about heading up that way on New Years Day.

It is actually the same distance mile wise as the Caney for me but a half hour longer. With all the water flowing elsewhere that may be the only place I can get in some fishing.

Travis C.

Re: Anyone been lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:05:41 AM »
Well, I guess I will have to give you guys a report come friday then.  ;D

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:46:58 AM »
I just went up there for Christmas.  I had intended to spend a couple days on the lake and a couple days on the Obey, but the whole trip was pretty much a disaster - way too long of a story to go into here.  Anyway, setting aside that long story, I got an hour or two of wading in on Christmas Day and then four hours floating the day after (before the boat broke down - but like I said, long story).

Regardless, I wish I could have fished more, but it was quite good for the time I fished.  Near the dam it was mostly dinks, but once I got downriver a couple miles I found some decent rainbows in the 15-17 inch range.

Best results were on the standard midge stuff - thread midges and zebras fished about a foot under an indicator.  I'd just cruise along until I found a group of rising fish, and then I'd stop and land the midge in the middle of the rise rings.  Sometimes I'd have to sit for a minute or two, but sooner or later one would grab it every time.  I tried some streamer stuff but not much results there.

Anyway, the fishing ought to be worth the drive - good luck and let us know how you do.

bd

Travis C.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
Thanks Brian for the heads on what they are eating.

I am hoping to catch some fish and break in my 6wt that my uncle got for me.

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
The Obey is more of a 4wt river.  :)

bd