Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: South FL Photo Essay  (Read 3835 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
South FL Photo Essay
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »
My arsenal

Arrival at about 10pm I think?

Our awesome accommodations

I even had my own tying desk!

Plenty of million$ homes across the bay.

The short walk to the boat slip

The Boat

Some other boats

Early morning departure. Notice the lightning strike in the left corner! Image isn't sharp because of the 25mph winds blowing my tripod.

The Inlet

Got the White balance off on the bumpy ride out
So a few of these pics were waay off.
Caught lots of these Kingfish

Several of these bad boys. Bonito, AKA False Albacore

Blue Runner = Great bait!

Shark!

About a 10 pound King that got hit by a large Cuda. I saw the Cuda coming but never felt a thing except the rod went limp. One swipe and he took half my fish with a cut that looks more like an axe blow!

I wanted to jump in with my Waterproof camera and shoot this guy but since we just released a shark and witnessed a Cuda attack I decided to stay in the boat.

Hit this thing with drinks in hand a few times after a hard day of fishing

The rest of the trip we were stuck in the bay due to 15 to 20 MPH winds and 3 to 4 ft seas.
Caught a bunch of these Sea Trout

These Jacks are like Striper on Steroids. I lost my biggest one at the boat about 10 pounds but it pulled my 9wt like it was a 30 pounder.

Tim with a nice Jack

A Lookdown Fish

The hardest fish to hook and catch in the world a Tarpon

Tarpon alley

Jack

Pig Fish

Sea Donkey is what I called them but I think they are Sea Cows or Manatees.

The thing I love most about the ocean and the bay is the fact that you are never really alone.

Dear Tim I can't say thanks enough times buddy. You made the trip a success and I am extremely grateful. If you ever need a partner again I'm in!
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RSiegmann

Re: South Fl Photo Essay
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »
Awesome photos ... looks like a great trip ... thanks for sharing ... Makes me want to go down a visit my parents who live in the area down there ... always a good excuse to get in a little South FL casting ...

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »
I'll split the gas? ;D
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
Mike, awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing and looks like you had a great time. I really want to try the salt but I know I will be addicted for sure.  ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »
You're welcome Mike. I had a great time too. It was nice to have another hard core fisherman along on the trip for once. In the 10 years or so that I've been making that trip this was the first time that I didn't hear something along the lines of "can't we take a break?" at some point during the trip.  BTW...I went out to clean out the boat a while ago and realized I still have your Copilot....also just fwiw...based on the reports I've been reading y'day-today all things considered (i.e. confined to the ICW) we did pretty fair in the catchin' department.

B PRICE

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »
NICE PIC'S MIKE
  Was there ever a need for more than a 9 weight on this trip?
    We will have to do a trip next year but you can count me out on the drinking and having stuff in your hand in the hot tub with ya   ::) but im in for the fishing part.(hahaha)
B PRICE

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 04:41:10 PM »
Yea Bill some folks you just don't get in a hot tub with. I hear FL is a good place to "get a big one"  ;D :D
A 10 was all I needed but I could see where a 12 would be handy for offshore or some of the big big Tarpon we saw roll. Tim knows this area like the back of his hand and managed to keep us in fish most of the trip despite crazy weather.

TimM

• FishHead
Re: South FL Photo Essay
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:58 PM »
Who said anything about kayaks, DD ?  8)

BTW...very nice photos Mike.  I've got all but the last day I think...need to get those from you sometime.

SpottedTail

• Spotted Tail Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:19:37 PM »
Good times Mike. Nice photos too. I wish I'd known you were headed down there, I could have hooked you up with a friend that I guide with on the Panhandle. He guides out of Vero this time of year for the big snook and tarpon.

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 07:58:04 AM »
Dagnabit, I got tears in my eyes - I miss fishing the salt so much - although on the other side of the gulf!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:00:23 AM »
Dang, that would have been sweet Andy. Tim knew where to go but he's not a fly fisherman and I have never targeted them so my technique and equipment was off. One place we visited at the mouth of a power plant had some nice 100 pound class Tarpon rolling but I hadn’t figured anything about them out at that point. Later I did find a fly that they seemed to adore. It was instant hits whenever I tied it on. I’ not sure if it would work on the larger ones but it was a huge hit with the juveniles. It’s also not any sort of traditional Tarpon fly either. I’ll send you a link to it.

So tell me where and when is the closest almost a sure thing Tarpon trip?

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 08:08:58 AM »
My wife wants to go back to Sanibel/Captiva possibly this Sept/Oct.   Apparently this is the time of year for snook.  I think the Tarpon would be gone by then.  I don't really want to go out and buy a 9/10 wt and a 12 wt if I don't need it.  Especially as I'm likely getting a 6' 2wt this weekend from the Orvis shop in Chattanooga (I'm a sucker for ultralite!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 08:31:25 AM »
"(I'm a sucker for ultralite! "

You'd love my SLT 1wt then. It's pretty sweet as long as there isn't the slightest breeze.

FWIW I don't think you could give me a factory rod in anything bigger then a 8wt for saltwater. Build it yourself and use the right guides!

SpottedTail

• Spotted Tail Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »
Dang, that would have been sweet Andy. Tim knew where to go but he's not a fly fisherman and I have never targeted them so my technique and equipment was off. One place we visited at the mouth of a power plant had some nice 100 pound class Tarpon rolling but I hadn’t figured anything about them out at that point. Later I did find a fly that they seemed to adore. It was instant hits whenever I tied it on. I’ not sure if it would work on the larger ones but it was a huge hit with the juveniles. It’s also not any sort of traditional Tarpon fly either. I’ll send you a link to it.

So tell me where and when is the closest almost a sure thing Tarpon trip?

Tarpon ought to be slowing down on the panhandle about now. You can find them in certain areas down there through the fall, but not an "almost sure thing" opportunity on the fly rod. Spring/Summer is the time for that. All depends on the migration.

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
"(I'm a sucker for ultralite! "

You'd love my SLT 1wt then. It's pretty sweet as long as there isn't the slightest breeze.

FWIW I don't think you could give me a factory rod in anything bigger then a 8wt for saltwater. Build it yourself and use the right guides!

Yeh sweeeeet, I've had the SPL and the "one ounce" in my hands but have not cast either one of them.  I would really like the extra length.  I've even thought about trying to build a rod out of a noodle rod, just to see if it could cast a fly line.  I currently have a White River, 6'-3", 3 wt, 3 piece that I like.  I could never convince the wife that I need a $300 or a $600 fly rod - yet!

The one I'm getting is a 6' 3wt Orvis (I don't remember what series, but it is not expensive - $130 +-) with a little Ross reel.  He comboed that with one of those new whiz bang Wonderline lines at $225.00.

As far as the BIG rod.  Never thought about building one, but my ears are all open.  What would be the recommended blank, guides, and seat?  Keeping in mind I am recovering from two students in Vanderbilt Master degree programs!