Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Below the dam  (Read 4254 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Below the dam
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:17:08 PM »
I drove up around lunch today, took the new SLT 8'9" #3 and a few small flies, caught a few typical Elk River Trophy wallhangers, just below the bridge, fish were small but very colorful for the Elk.

Really liked the rod, but Rio Pocketwater line is fine but not for far ;D Will try out the SA Trout next week after I decide and buy a reel. Ort to just pick up an BassPro Hobbs Creek #2 and go fishing.

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: Below the dam
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:26:54 PM »
Was that the christening of the stick?

Glad you like it. I think it's pretty sweet.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »
David I had some of that Pocket water line too and I hated it! It coiled up really bad and if it was a little cool you could forget it.

The SA will bring that rod to life.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

czkid

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
Fished below the bridge on Friday for about 4 hours breaking in a presentation rod from Gnomish Rod Works in Colorado.  7ft 2/2 4wt that throws 50 ft casts all day with zero effort.

Day went as expected.  Started out with my size 18 cream soft hackle and immediately started catching fish.  After a dozen or so I decided to experiment with different flies.  Worked a size 16 3x soft hackle in light yellow and a size 14 short in peacock hackle with a bright green "butt" soft hackle... essentially nada, zip, nothing... went back to the cream soft hackle and bang!!!  Needless to say our little friends were being very selective again after frontal passage.

One slight suprize... about 3/4 of the way through the riffle just before quiting at noon I got smashed by what appeard to be a really good sized brown  His top water antics quickly freed him from a size 18 hook but I did get a pretty good look at a butter belly during the brief encounter.  I'm going to have to work on that boy again.

Petri Heil,

Ralph
Petri Heil

Ralph

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »
If he also had a #22 baby pheasanttail nymph in his mouth, I hooked him/her on my 6' 3 wt back in June.  But I had no aerials - just used the current until the fly pulled free.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
Nice report Ralph thanks! Welcome to the board BTW.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »
From Middle Tn - could any member of the forum weigh in on this please - would you drive to the Caney or fish the Elk - for wade fishing what river is better for trout ? I want to go in mid Nov or Early Dec -

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
I kinda like the Elk in the winter. Caney could be pumping water at that time. The fish can be picky,, last year a G gnat stripped across the surface worked pretty good up close to the Dam.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Drought is bad anyway you look at it, but from a tailwater angle, TVA will only have to generate half the time or less this winter to get to winter pool.

If I was coming up I-40, I'd go to Caney if stream is not running water from the turbines.

Glad to have the Elk, 600 feet from my front door, but I personally think the Caney is 118% better water.

I'm off Monday-Thursday, give me a yell if you ever want to hook up during the week.

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 05:02:35 PM »
If Thursday is your Day you ought to come on to Memphis ( 3 hours from Nashvages) from my house it takes 2 maybe 2 1/2 to be in the river I am going over this Thur and I am going next Thur if you can ever get the time ( the fishing is hot right now ) From Memphis you are more than welcome to ride with me - think it over > rolled up trout water over big spawning browns  - and I am going to take you up on the Elk river invite never fished it and it is on my list  thank you 

czkid

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
And if Mike isn't available, then maybe I am... and you will be properly introduced to the Elk.... with Bamboo.

Ralph
Petri Heil

Ralph

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »
Thank you very much I am scraping and saving like crazy.  I know a man in Little Rock Arkansas that custom builds Bamboo rods for 600 - he will build them to any spec you want - the craftsmanship is unbelievable - but I would very much like to fish the Elk with Bamboo for the first time and I really appreciate the invite to fish - 

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 09:46:21 PM »
appreciate the offer, but that would be a tad much travel, 10 or more years ago, I'd be all over it.

I have to be at work at 6:30am, 12 1/2 hour days take their toll on a person stuck in the middle age crisis.

I can remember when my dad use to say "just wait till you are my age", well I'm long past that age ;D Glad to still be around.

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »
Woodsman Sorry to hear about the middle age crisis thing sounds like a problem - its a bit of travel - Hey if you get a couple of the middle Tn boys for a fun weekend I know a guy that has a cabin on a shoal sleeps 8 - has gas grill, dock everything that we need 400 a weekend - or there are several others that are less than 50 a man for a weekend all are on the water - I am diffidently going to hook up with you on the invite for the Elk - thanks

czkid

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 10:50:11 PM »
If you're going to the trouble to go to Memphis you might as well keep going till you get to Mountain Home..............

Ralph ::)
Petri Heil

Ralph