Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Garner's Ford Access Point  (Read 3698 times)

roberts618

Garner's Ford Access Point
« on: December 27, 2007, 08:33:03 AM »
Is this actually a public access point?  If so, what is the wading and fishing like there?  I keep seeing this in books but never hear anyone talk about.  Anyone have any current information?

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Re: Garner's Ford Access Point
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
t was a great access, I use to love to drive down there just to enjoy the solitude, even if I never got a rod out.

Home owner had his house broken into (3) times, "I was told, that second hand" and rednecks tore up a dock/steps to make a camp fire, that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Last time I looked it had a chain and sign across the road going down to the river, was a one lane dirt trail, maybe half mile drive to the river.

Elk River is hurting for access, I've checked all the way to Elkton at the Alabama state line, and the places to put a trailered boat in are as plentiful as wade access, almost none.

roberts618

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up on this.  That is what I thought I had heard from someone else but I wasn't sure and hence my question.

It is too bad the TDNR financial resources are stretched so thin.  A couple of more good access points on the Elk would be welcome and are needed.  I wonder how we could facilitate this?  Who are local representatives and senators in state government?

dleo6446

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:26:08 PM »
It is a shame that in our great sport that we have those that don't respect the property of others, especially to the extent that it causes exactly this type of issue for other sportsmen that have used and not abused such valuable access areas previously.

czkid

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »
I spoke to the property owner soon after the chain was put up (the 2nd time).  The problem was not fishermen, but kids partying down at the access.  According to the owner, he complained to TVA and others and put up the chain (the first time)... he was assured that they would police the area and there would not be a problem.  6 months later the chain went up for good.

Most fishermen are pretty good about not trashing an area... kids are a different story.

Ralph
Petri Heil

Ralph

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:00:28 PM »
Most fishermen are pretty good about not trashing an area... kids are a different story.
Ralph

You must not be wading the same areas I am...

I regularly see horrendous amounts of litter, with a majority of it fishing related

>:( >:( >:(

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead