Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Interesting Data  (Read 1751 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Interesting Data
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
I dropped by the game wardens house a few days ago to ask a few questions and visit with my old neighbor.

Told me that this past summer he checked a bait fisherman fishing off the top of Harms Dam, this dam is 50 to 52 river miles below Tims Ford Dam. This gentleman had a 26" Brown trout that he had caught in the deep water above the dam. Now this gives me hope for the water near me, I'm almost in the middle of this distance at 25.5 river miles. I've only witnessed one very large brown and that was 2 years this coming March. Had stopped in a deep pool to help raise the water level and relieve some bladder pressure, noticed a large mayfly sitting on the surface, as I was focusing on this critter, out of the deep comes a 30ish" Brownie, missed the bug and made another shot at him. Both times almost ended up in my boat. Talking about a rush.

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Interesting Data
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
David I think these holdover fish move alot more then people think. IMO they are in a constant migration up and down the entire stretch of the river. Temps, O2, food supply, and maybe even competition from the fresh stockers move these fish. I've seen it happen on Caney in the summer where lots of fish in the 16 to 20+" range just disappear but show up somewhere else a few days later. I suspect it’s tied mostly to water temps for the comfort level of the fish and the hatch of insects that occur at certain temps? Ever wonder how so many Trout (several big ones) can happen to be at a localized hatch at the same time? I do…

I could be totally wrong but I've seen some patterns on Caney that would support my notion. I plan to do a lot more temp studies this year.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

czkid

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
The guy that used to have the canoe livery just E. of Fayetteville told me that he had caught a couple big ones in the fall of the year at the takeout just NE of his place.  That would be not 10 miles from Fayetteville.

I'Ve canoed that river enough to know there lots of pools west of the dam that Browns could hold out in..... time for a sink tip line and some streamers.....????
Petri Heil

Ralph

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
I live in the middle of the two canoe rentals, if and when a trout is caught down this way, it's always one of large stature.

I'm 18 river miles upstream of Fayetteville, take out spot at Dickey Bridge on Champ Rd. is 16 miles. Right around 10 by the highway.

czkid

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »
The takeout I'm referencing was NE of Kelso, could have been the Dickey Bridge if that is about the one furthest W. before you get to Fayetteville... he was just "killing time" with a spinning rod and a Panther Martin under the bridge.

So many opportunities.... so little time.

Ralph
Petri Heil

Ralph

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:02:44 AM »
the one straight across from the canoe rental on the main highway is Dickey Bridge, back towards Fayetteville and just before you cross the big river bridge off to the right is Stump Shoals and the one behind the Frito-Lay plant is Chennault Ford, then Hwy 231/431 at the Old Stone Bridge.

czkid

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure we're talking Dicky Bridge... this was some years back and the canoe liveries have moved as I understand.

Ralph
Petri Heil

Ralph