Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: melton hill lake  (Read 2768 times)

hornberg

• Now Thats a fish!
melton hill lake
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
Has Anyone fished Melton hill lake? I have read where there are yellow perch in this lake and muskie. I love eating perch and I wold love to get a bunch of these. I am originally from New Hampshire and I miss these good fighting pan fish. If you get one on a fly and it is  a fullsize adult you will have some fun. ;D

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
Re: melton hill lake
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »
Have never fished for them and don't know anyone that does, but if they are that good of eating - I might need some pointers.  I have heard of people catching them also in Chickamauga Lake, Pickwick Lake and the Hiwasee and Ocoee Rivers.  Had one old fellow who told me a long time ago that he used to catch lots of yellow perch on Reelfoot, but what he was really catching was yellow BASS. 

By the way - welcome to the forum.  The only one on here that bites is Grumpy.  Watch out for him ;)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »
Mike, you bite too, just admit it!

hornberg welcome!! Are you using spider patterns or small chug bugs for the perch? I have seen them hit anything from nymphs all the way to dries.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
Mike, you bite too, just admit it!

hornberg welcome!! Are you using spider patterns or small chug bugs for the perch? I have seen them hit anything from nymphs all the way to dries.

Yeah, but I smile before and after! ;D

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »
 ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

hornberg

• Now Thats a fish!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome I hope to get down to middle tn and also east tn  to try some new waters.I have yet to fish for them  here in TN. I am original from New Hampshire and up there we use the standard panfish bait ,pieces of worm or for the biger ones whole worms. For artificial we use small spinners and for flies small bass poppers. If you jig just use what you would use for crappies or bluegills.I have seen the adult ones  take about a 2 inch live minnow too. They spawn in the spring in larg schools. You want to skin them or fillet the big ones. If you catch a bucket of small ones , fillet them and you get small strips of meat . Deep fry them and enjoy a tasty meal. I have the most fun with the kids  and have them use a small bobber and an ultra lite pole. They will have a great time.