Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Smallmouth on the Stones  (Read 6721 times)

wil2hike

• Calvary Outfitters
Smallmouth on the Stones
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »
Any good spots around the M'bor or smyrna area on the Stones for smallmouth?  Thanks

madMax

Re: Smallmouth on the Stones
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:10:54 AM »
PM Sent

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »
Yes, the Stones is full of Black Bass. It hardly gets fished and there are some line stretchers in there. I used to float from a place I lived on Shacklett rd to Nice’s Mill and almost every trip I'd have a big smallie break me off. 
There are parts of this river that just don't ever get fished! Alot of folks focus on Trout and lake fishing and some really good rivers full of native fish take a back seat. Use the Greenway and make some floats. You'll find out how good it can be.

Just FWIW this might be a place where I'd take a med spinning rod, some small Charlie Brewer slider worms, a couple rooster tails, and a few rebel craws along with my fly rod. Fish the deep holes below riffles and deep stretches. There really are some big Bass in the Stones.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Little Man

• dansharley.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
Mike's obviously kidding. The Stones River system is completely devoid of smallmouth ... mainly due to the TWRA's decision to stock bull sharks (with frickin' lazer beams on their heads) a few years ago.

Actually, it is a very fertile system that produces largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass. You'll find all three in a stretch of river, although the East Fork has produced more smallies for me. Traditionally, it's a little clearer and cooler than the West and Middle sections.

Mike's exactly right -- the Greenway in Murfreesboro is a good place to start, especially on a float. The section of river below Walter Hill dam gets hammered with fishermen in the spring, mainly because of a traditional run of bigger smallmouth. I've fished it, but prefer a more solitary approach for the gamest fish that swims.

A good map of the Murfreesboro area will reveal a bunch of opportunities, especially below dams and near bridges (traditionally access points). Some are better than others, but all will yield good fish. Mike's suggestions on the baits to use are dead on, with the addition of live bait, especially creek minnows, being a big producer. For a long time, I relied almost solely on soft plastics, but I've fly-fished the streams for the past couple of years. The summer months are great for tossing foam and deer-hair poppers, big streamers and crawfish imitations (I always carry a couple of carp flies as well because some nice ones frequent the same stretches of river ... and I apparently crave frustration and abuse). But largemouth and spots seem to be easier for me to fool with flies than smallies.

The streams don't receive a great deal of pressure, but I encourage you to consider catch and release on the bigger smallies. Both for increasing the odds that someone else (well, like me) will have a chance for catching a trophy ... and for keeping the bull sharks fed, of course.  ;D

I hope this helps.

DH20

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »
Where can I get some of the Charlie Brewer slider worms?

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »
Murfreesboro Outdoors had them I think.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »