Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Attn Gheenoe Owners  (Read 7391 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Attn Gheenoe Owners
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:26:17 AM »
Tell me all the bad things you can think of about your gheenoe.  :)

Seriously, I'm toying with the idea of buying one. I've heard lots of good things about them - and since I'm thinking of buying one, "boat fever" has kicked in and those good things are magnified 100-fold in my mind.

But I'm wondering about the downsides. Tell me any you can think of so that I can consider them now instead of after I buy one. In particular, let me know about things I should check before buying a used one, since that might be what I'm doing. I'll probably disregard them or rationalize them away, but at least I can't say I wasn't warned.

bd

Leo deMonbreun

Re: Attn Gheenoe Owners
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »
hey bd, check it out - 3800

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:09:27 AM »
bd,  How would you plan to use a Gheenoe?  What rivers/lakes?  What size/ model are you considering?  Motor or no motor?  How many people?  Standing of sitting while fishing?

I have owned 2 Gheenoes.  One smaller canoe style model and another Classic model.  Both are great boats.  Well constructed and high quality.  The only reason I got rid of them was a need for more space for people and gear.  Also greater stability.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:51:59 AM »
bd,  How would you plan to use a Gheenoe?  What rivers/lakes?  What size/ model are you considering?  Motor or no motor?  How many people?  Standing of sitting while fishing?

I have owned 2 Gheenoes.  One smaller canoe style model and another Classic model.  Both are great boats.  Well constructed and high quality.  The only reason I got rid of them was a need for more space for people and gear.  Also greater stability.

Are you saying you were tired of Grumpy bringing too much gear ? or tired of him falling out of the boat? ;D
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »

Are you saying you were tired of Grumpy bringing too much gear ? or tired of him falling out of the boat? ;D

when will it ever end :'(

Grumpy

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:12 AM »
bd,  How would you plan to use a Gheenoe?  What rivers/lakes? 

Probably not a surprise, but it will mostly be used for fly fishing tailwaters and small rivers - Caney, Cumberland, Elk, Obey, Collins etc.  Basically, right now I've got a 17' Tracker and canoes.  I need something inbetween.  The Tracker is too big for low water, and the canoes are too small for generation - plus, with canoes, you've got to put in, float down, and take out downriver.  That's a pain because I have to worry about a shuttle and it means there are certain places I can't reach due to no feasible downstream takeout.  It also means I can't fish low water, then run upriver when generation hits and fish high water back down.  

What size/ model are you considering?  Motor or no motor?  How many people?  Standing of sitting while fishing?

Leo just posted a picture above, and another gheenoe recently sold on this forum.  I believe both were customized 15' 4" highsiders equipped with an outboard.  That's what I'm looking for.

I'd probably be fishing one or two people 90% of the time, but it would be nice if it could squeeze in a third in a pinch, at least to ride from place to place if not to fish from the boat.

I'd definitely be standing while fishing - my flycasting is bad enough without me making it worse by sitting down.

Also greater stability.

My limited knowledge is that their stability is pretty good for a smaller craft, right?  Mike's Supreme is more stable, I'm sure, but it's also a lot more boat than I want/need.

Any insight is appreciated.

bd

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:30:55 AM »
Mike's RiverHawk, that I bought, was fine fishing two. Caneybuff and Leo and I used it before.

Too crowded for three to fish, but we'd take turns. Fisherman front, fisherman back, guy in the middle ran the trolling motor.

I know it's not a Gheenoe, but the size and stability are nearly identicle, identacle, ahh, they are nearly the same.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »
Too crowded for three to fish, but we'd take turns. Fisherman front, fisherman back, guy in the middle ran the trolling motor.

Yeah, if I had three in the boat, that would probably be the arrangement.

I had a really hard time getting used to Mike's remote trolling motor the couple times I've used it though.  I've been using foot controls for over 15 years, and I guess change does not come easy to me.

I wonder if an extended cable could be put on a foot control to allow control from a middle seat if necessary?

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »
Just get used to the remote! Foot controls get in the way to much.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »
Just get used to the remote! Foot controls get in the way to much.

Amen, the remote is the way to go, and once you are used to it, it is far better than the foot control.
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
A Classic might be just your ticket.  It really is a wonderful boat with a lot more to offer than most users give it credit.  A lot of your comfort level in and with this boat is just that.  "Your comfort level".

BD, you really owe it to yourself to field test a Classic before you purchase one.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »
A Classic might be just your ticket.  It really is a wonderful boat with a lot more to offer than most users give it credit.  A lot of your comfort level in and with this boat is just that.  "Your comfort level".

BD, you really owe it to yourself to field test a Classic before you purchase one.

Thumper's Classic was a very stable boat & 2 could fish easily & comfortably from it, i should have bought the blame ting.

Grumpy

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »

I wish you still had yours - I'd say let's go fishing!

bd

reddog

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »
BD,
 I bought Woodmans Classic earlier this year and put a 15 hp Honda on it. If you want to go out for a ride shoot me an email.

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
Reddog, it's things like that offer, good karma,  that make this a cool place to hang out. Even if you do know Woodsman.

I take it you didn't go to the Lynchburg meeting tonight?
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."