Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cumberland River 9/6  (Read 1552 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Cumberland River 9/6
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »
Made it back to the river y'day. One generator was running (#2) when I got there at about 11:45 again and found that just like last week if you had the right rig baby skippies were abundant and willing to bite.   After catching a dozen or so I rigged one up and sent him to the danger zone...just like last week it hadn't been in the water more than a minute or two when it got whacked. Turned out to be a 5 lb +/- water zebra. Rebaited and a couple of minutes later the bait got absolutely hammered. As soon as I put the steel to the fish I knew this one was different...it took off downstream and I turned the boat around to give chase with the trolling motor.  A while later when I finally got the fish to the boat it wouldn't fit in my net...lol...I had intentionally left my "big fish net" in the garage since I was really just looking for 5-10 lb schoolies. Managed to wrestle the fish aboard. It was this chunky 20 lb'er. What fun in that current on schoolie size spinning tackle. Unfortunately I forgot that I had reset the white balance on my camera at last weeks band performance so the colors in the pictures came out really weird and the pictures weren't very good.

I spent quite a while working to revive the fish and it did finally swim off upright but it was clearly very tired.  About then I was thinking that it was going to be another murderizing....however the COE had different plans.  After paying the required sinker/hook tax and spending more time in the next hour or so rerigging than fishing they started playing weird games with the generators.  First they turned #2 off and then right back on...a few minutes later they turned it off again and turned on #3 then after a little while it was turned back off and #2 turned back on which is where they left it for the duration. The bite definitely slowed down after all that. Caught several more stripers but they were all in the 1-2 lb size range. 

You know...now that I think about it...the COE started all that weirdness  just a little while before I picked up Ron at the boat ramp....hmmmm.....the Snow effect perhaps??  ;D

It was a very nice day to be on the water, managed to scrape out a few little fish and one nice one. Glad you got to get out for a bit Ron even if we didn't slay 'em.

Mike...think you could tie up some sort of streamer that would replicate this size & coloration? Could you get it down 8-10 feet in fairly heavy current? If so I think you'd have a good shot there with the long rod.

Tim

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Cumberland River 9/6
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »
 I have several patterns that look close to that bait tied up already. I can definitely get it 8’ deep in current with no problem. I might have to check this place out this weekend. If you don’t mind can you IM me a location. I am pretty sure I know but just to be sure. I wonder if below CH is getting right yet? I also remember Allen from TK’s site talking about CH lake in the fall in the Granville area. I’ve never fished it during the fall but he said it was a sight to behold. We had a trip scheduled but he passed before we got to go… Priest should start to really pick up very early and late around the confluence of Fall, Spring, and Stones.

I’ll put up some pics of the flies I have in mind later.

Thanks
Mike
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: Cumberland River 9/6
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the trip Tim. I'm glad I got out too. 

I am beginning to think it is The Snow Effect! People are going to stop taking me with them if my Effect doesn't become more positive on their catching!!!!!!

I think I haven't made enough sacrifice to the fishing gods lately.  I need to correct that asap.

You know those two skippies I brought back to the boat that were missing their back half? I am wondering. That's never happened to me before.  Yes they have been scrapped, dead, skin missing etc but never bitten in half. I am wondering if it was really a fish biting them off, or if I got them hung just right between a couple of rocks? Who knows, first time for me. Maybe it was gar chomping them in half?

Anyway, I had a great time. Thanks.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."