Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Anbody Got a High-Powered Air Rifle I Could Borrow?  (Read 2995 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Anbody Got a High-Powered Air Rifle I Could Borrow?
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
I know this is a real long shot, but does anybody out there have a high-powered air rifle I could borrow for a few weeks?  I will gladly put down a generous deposit or otherwise give you "security" that I will take care of the rifle meticulously and will return it in perfect condition.  Heck, I'll even consider renting one for a reasonable price.

Ideally, I'm looking for a .22 cal RWS or Crossman that will shoot somewhere in the 800 to 900 fps range.  I don't need a scope - I'm a pretty good shot.

Here's the situation:  We have a "doggy door" at our house - my wife's cocker spaniel is very old, and she can't make it through the night anymore without going to the bathroom (the dog, not the wife  :)).  Therefore, we installed the door so the dog can let herself out in the middle of the night to do her business.

Unfortunately, we have a neighbor a few houses down who has a couple big tom cats.  The cats have started to let themselves IN our doggy door in the middle of the night.  They have been coming into my house in the middle of the night and attacking our own cats, which creates a huge commotion, wakes up the baby, etc.  But worse than that, they are "marking their territory" by peeing all over my house

I am tired of getting woken up.  I am tired of treating injuries on my own cats from the nightly fights.  Most of all, I am tired of cleaning up cat pee (that's not even from my own cats!!!).

I have confronted my neighbors numerous times about this issue, and they have rejected all my efforts to deal with the situation peacefully.  I've tried to just scare the cats off, but the cats haven't been impressed.  I am not the type of guy who typically goes around shooting domestic animals, but all other efforts have failed and I am resigned to the "nuclear option."

The next time one of those cats comes into my house at 3:00 a.m. to attack my pets and spray all over my furniture, I'm going to blow its brains out.

If I lived in the country, I would have taken care of this with my 12 gauge by now.  But I can't go around firing off a regular firearm in the middle of a quiet subdivision at 3:00 a.m. and still pull off this operation in the low-key manner it requires.  Especially not in my kitchen.  A .22 cal air rifle fits my needs - enough power to do the job, but quietly.

Anyway, I don't want to have to spend $350.00 to $400.00 to buy a high-powered air rifle just to shoot a couple cats.  So, if possible, I'm looking to work out something with somebody who has one. 

Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but if anyone can help me with this gruesome deed, send me a private message.

bd

Rusty Garoutte

Re: Anbody Got a High-Powered Air Rifle I Could Borrow?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »
Two words...Live trap.  Call the animal control and they will gladly set up a live trap for you.  Then they will dispose of said critter for you.  When I first moved into my home, the neighbor across the street had 15-20 cats.  They would come over and mark their territory, in the car if the windows were down.  I called animal control and he set up two traps in the front yard.  He said to call when they were full.  He also said that if the neighbor came over to let them out, he could have arrested.  Cool...Six days later she was down to 5 cats.
I need a break!

Racer X

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
Sounds like a winner from Rusty. 

If you decide to take matters into your own hands and shoot the critters, make sure you get them in the head.  Put that computer out.  Cats are notoriously tough. 

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
I have high powered rifles, they are much more effective on cats. .223 if the ultimate varmint shot.

Was that insensitive? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Wish I could help you out but I don't have any air rifles right now.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »
I have high powered rifles, they are much more effective on cats. .223 if the ultimate varmint shot.

This is true, but firing off a .223 at 3 a.m. in the middle of a Hendersonville suburb isn't very subtle and quiet, either.

You wouldn't make a very good ninja.  :)

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »
I'd also go with the live trap. YOu can buy them at TSC or CO-OP. Bait them with tuna and put your animals up somewhere. Once you catch them it’s up to you what to do but a trip to an animal shelter would be ideal. They have to get spayed before they leave...
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:12:23 AM »
.22 CB Cap ;) bounce off the neighbors house, but not the cat at close range.

Travis C.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »
Hey  bd,

I would go the live trap route too. BUT, If you are still looking for a high powered air rifle I have one that will fit your needs. I have cats and a doggy door with little child inside also. There would be hell to pay for just waking my little one much less hurting our cats inside or peeing all over the house.

Just let me know if you want to check it out.

-Travis

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:26:12 AM »
i have access to a live trap, problem is, keeping your cat's out of it :o just put a pop bottle or tater over a 22 barrel, lil noise & if the bullet goes through, no big hole in the floor ;D

Grumpy

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »

This is true, but firing off a .223 at 3 a.m. in the middle of a Hendersonville suburb isn't very subtle and quiet, either.

You wouldn't make a very good ninja.  :)

bd

You are correct bd, but I never approached this with subtle in mind.

Ninjas generally don't sport .45's or AR's.  ;)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
I would go the live trap route too.

The main disadvantage to a live trap is that at the end of the process, the cat is alive - which isn't consistent with my goals.

To be clear, I don't hate cats, and I don't go into killing one lightly.  I've always owned cats, and generally speaking, I love cats.  It's these particular cats I have a problem with.  Our own cats are both spayed females who don't know how to fight, and they're getting chewed up pretty badly.  And like I said, I'm done with cleaning up cat spray.

If I'm going to remove them from the neighborhood, I'm not going to dump them across the river somewhere to starve to death or become a feral stray.  I'd rather shoot them in the head and be done with it.

BUT, If you are still looking for a high powered air rifle I have one that will fit your needs. I have cats and a doggy door with little child inside also. There would be hell to pay for just waking my little one much less hurting our cats inside or peeing all over the house.

Spoken like a man who understands my situation!

Sounds good.  Will you be at the Hendersonville Fly Fishers meeting on Tues. the 13th?  If so, maybe we can talk there. 

The main thing I want to be sure of is that it's a .22 cal that will shoot at high fps and really pack a whallop.  I'm concerned that a .177 wouldn't have enough "oomph" to be sure of a clean kill.  I don't want to wound a cat.

bd

Travis C.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
Sounds good.  Will you be at the Hendersonville Fly Fishers meeting on Tues. the 13th?  If so, maybe we can talk there. 

The main thing I want to be sure of is that it's a .22 cal that will shoot at high fps and really pack a whallop.  I'm concerned that a .177 wouldn't have enough "oomph" to be sure of a clean kill.  I don't want to wound a cat.

bd

Yeah, I will be at the meeting next week unless something unforeseen comes up. I will check on the stats of the gun but I think it is around 1000 to 1200 fps

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
You'll shoot your eye out!