Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: What is everybody tying for fall?  (Read 6297 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
What is everybody tying for fall?
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:38:03 AM »
I tied a bunch of  Scuds, Olive Soft Hackles, Eggs, Prince’s, Clousers, Hare's ear. My midge collection is starting to look sparse so I guess I'll be doing some of them next week.

Anybody got a killer fall pattern you don't mind sharing
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: What is everybody tying for fall?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »

I haven't gotten set up to tie yet. I wouldn't mind paying someone for some of those UT soft hackles you gave me one of last trip though. That and olive, and some scuds for up there. Bout a dozen each. I'll pay the going shop retail rate, but can't afford the streamside rate!!! ;D

As soon as I have some extra money I'm going to post one of those "OK, what kind of vice, hooks, materials does a newbie get?"  threads.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:46:33 PM »
I have good luck fishing in the fall with the "Guacamole Stick Bugs" that Chuck used to tie / sell at the FlyChucker.  I may have one or two left, I need to disect one and see if I can figure it out.  It doesn't look too difficult, but I am a very novice tier.

Todd
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »
Add more and more soft hackles to my list and some Caddis larva too. It snowed Caddis on the river today. Never seen anything like it.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 07:32:28 AM »
Todd I have heard alot about those flies but I haven't seen one. Post a pic if you have one. I'll dig around and see if I can come up with something too.

Ron I have a hard time keeping me stocked in flies. I'm home today because I went thru most of my good uns yesterday. I'll tie up a few extra every time I sit down and sooner or later I'll have you an order ready. My streamside price has always been free. Hmmm,, I need to rethink my business plan.  We need to go again when you get a chance buddy.

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 09:15:19 PM »
This a terrible picture - my camera does not do a macro-mode well at all.

There are 2 strands of Peacock in the tail along with green Marabou and a few strands of flash.  The body is a light green, with brown hackle tied thru the whole length of the body.  Looks to be tied on a 3x or 4x size 14 hook, with a bead head.

I've had great results with this fly fish down and across on a dead drift, or stripped slowly in slower moving water at a 45 deg. angle to the current, facing downstream...

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
Thanks Todd! Looks like everyone else is keeping secrets... ;D

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »
Hah  -  keep no secrets, catch no fish????

;)

dleo6446

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »
Well, I am keeping no secrets, for sure, heck I don't have any.  What I am tying that seems to work really well for me in the Caney this time of year, is a lot of larger soft hackles, with a lot of Holo tinsel in them and some sz 14 - 16 olive and gold wolley worms with a ton of lead in them....

(I would take pictures of them but don't want to give any secrets away...hehehehehe)

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »
I caught a nice Rainbow on a woolly worm two weeks ago when it was a tough day on the midge. That's a fly that most people throw as beginners and somehow forget about it when they discover indicator fishing. Big mistake!

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:41:24 PM »
I tied up some midges with a clear class bead, peacock krystal flash wrapped up the hook and then covered with olive vinyl rib. I don't know if they'll catch any fish but they look nice.

dleo6446

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:27:40 PM »
Sound tempting there Mike....almost like a flast back?

here is a variation of the wolley worm that will produce results if stripped very fast...upstream.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:41:51 AM »
How much for that one onstream?  ;D

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 09:01:50 AM »
I caught a nice Rainbow on a woolly worm two weeks ago when it was a tough day on the midge. That's a fly that most people throw as beginners and somehow forget about it when they discover indicator fishing. Big mistake!

Yeah, I gave up the woolly worm for the woolly bugger just beacuse the worm looks so wimpy in comparison.  Might need to pull 'em back out next trip.  I've always been able to catch a ton of blugill with them...

dleo, that is an awesome looking fly - I'd love to get my hands on one of those!

cheers,

Todd

Jeremy

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 01:57:27 PM »
While I've yet to actually tie up any of these this season (I recently broke my rt. thumb and she's in a cast!) I thought I'd consider the scuds shown by Mico in this post. They look incredible, if a guy would care to go to this much "fun" just for scuds. They do intrigue me though.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=81007f57454ff43b24a562bec129b574&showtopic=19020&hl=

Hope it all comes through. Provided is a link where he explains his steps. Looks pretty darn nice.

Jeremy.