Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: I did it.  (Read 1713 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
I did it.
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:27:45 PM »
I wore out a ceramic tip top on my 7wt. There is a distinct grove right where the line would normally be on a typical retrieve.  I can't imagine what it would look like if it were just a chrome plated SS tip top. FWIW, it wasn’t a Fuji… A mistake I won’t ever make again.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: I did it.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »
That's a bunch of stripping on a fly rod.  Amazing isn't it? How old you think that tip is?

I remember the first time I realized there was a line goove in a tip eye. I was fishing a tournament in Texas and thought my retrieve felt funny.  Then I noticed a little fuzz on the line like abrasion from fish teeth or rocks but it was way too far away from the tag end.

I started checking things out and sure enough, my topwater rod had a goove worn into it.
I could hardly belive it. Rod was at the end of it's first season.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: I did it.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
2 years old Ron. Fly line is very bad about grooving guides, especially when you fish dirty water (Priest). I'll might use Gold Cermets for my heavier rod tip tops if I can find one light enough for a fly rod.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956