Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Soft Hackle thread  (Read 4109 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Soft Hackle thread
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
I'd like to start a thread just for Soft Hackles. As far as I'm concerned there isn't a more fun way to catch Trout except maybe a dry. Usually when I tie them on I see fish rising and can sight fish to a certain fish (my favorite way to fish).

How do you guys fish them, what is your favorite pattern, what all hatches do you match with what SH’s? Not trying to get anybody’s secret patterns but you all gota admit they are probably some of the sexiest flies we tie. Let’s see em!

I’ll start off with one of my favorites. http://www.danica.com/flytier/jhenkemeyer/soft_hackle_peacock.htm
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Soft Hackle thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
Mike that is a great pattern and Hans is an incredible tier.

My favorite is the Partridge and Orange. Here is a nice link on YouTube to watch it being tied.

Partridge and Orange on YouTube
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:30 AM »
Boy, tight lipped bunch when it comes to Softies.  :-X
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Looper Flies

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
I'm going with 'Eat at Chuck's' as my favorite soft-hackle.  Can't find an image of it. :-\
Fish on!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »
You know, after I met Mike H last night we discussed this. I figured at least he would have already dropped a pattern in.  :-\
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:56 PM »
I have had pretty good luck just tying a soft hackle version of your basic nymph patterns. I also tie some that have no name. ??? I will post pics later.

Jarrod
I just don't care!

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Soft Hackles are my favorite, bar none!  I will post a few pics of some patterns I have had a ton of luck with here on the Caney.  I have one that I have shared with a bunch of people that had no name to it and one of the customers at CT named it the Green Machine and that sort of stuck.  Maybe we need a soft hackle swap!
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:24:56 AM »
cast it out, let it swing, grab a smoke, scratch my butt, they're just like tossing corn, ain't no rocket science here, some of us are more evolved, jeez >:(

Seriously, they are fun to fish, whether upstream or down, greasd leader or not, my favorite one is the one with partridge hackle on the front ;)

Grumpy

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
The only soft hackle I have used with any frequency has been a BHGRHE with a soft hackle behind the bead. 16's and 18's.
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »
Hahha Grumpy, getting em to take before the end of the drift is where the challange is but if they don't what the heck, let it soak a little while, you never know...

Dang Yarn dunkers ;D

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
.  Maybe we need a soft hackle swap!

That was going to be my suggestion for the next swap!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »
.  Maybe we need a soft hackle swap!

That was going to be my suggestion for the next swap!

Surely wouldn't take as long as a streamer swap :o

Grumpy

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »
For the caney i always liked a PT soft hackle. I would wrap the body in pt, rib it and wrap a partridge or hen feather up front for the hackle, usually no peacock thorax. Quick and easy and those caney fish loved it.

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:50:18 AM »
For the caney i always liked a PT soft hackle. I would wrap the body in pt, rib it and wrap a partridge or hen feather up front for the hackle, usually no peacock thorax. Quick and easy and those caney fish loved it.

they still do love it...great fly for sure
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

jkilday4

• FishHead
  • One cast ... just one more ... 'n'then another ...
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:39 AM »
I've honestly not fished them enough.  I have had a bit of luck with a gray-bodied sz16 as well as a PTSH, size 14.  I've fished them on the swing in more laminar flow and also have thump-stripped them on the swing in current seams which was a lot of fun.  Here's a 'Red Arse' I tied back in winter.  Unfortunately, not able to fish it on the Little Red this spring due to flooding... :'(