Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: New Dancraft  (Read 3457 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
New Dancraft
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:50:57 AM »
I broke the tip of my Dan Craft SigV 5wt last weekend doing something stupid… I called Dan and as expected he no longer has any tips for that rod. It had a lifetime warranty so Dan offered to send me one of his new Sig V blanks and a reel seat for nothing but the shipping. Because I had broken the rod I insisted that I pay the accidental breakage fee and shipping and I would buy my own new seat and cork. He agreed and now I have one of the new Sig V's on the way. I can't wait to see how the new rods stack up against the old ones. While I had him on the phone I asked about my 8'4" 3wt Sig V that I love so dearly. Well if I break it I'm out of luck there too. :'( :'( I think I'll put that rod away and only use it on special occasions now. For the Caney I think a 5wt is overkill unless I am fishing deep in the deeper pools. Anybody got a 3wt that that has a nice crisp action and light as a feather?

I’ll post my opinion of the new Sig V once I get it built and fish it a few times. Coming from Dan I expect it will be a high quality, lightweight, STRAIGHT, blank. 

Mike
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dleo6446

Re: New Dancraft
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:54:08 AM »
Thats cool, I havent built on the Dan Craft blanks but I hear nothing but great things about them.  Every raves about their backbone and how true the blanks are.

I just ordered one of the Sage Z axis blanks, in a 9', 4 piece, 5 wt.   Cant wait to get it and compare it to TCR and the Zero Gravity.

As far as a 3 weight goes, about 2 years ago, I built an 8.5', 3 wt, on an Elkhorn blank, and it is truely a casting machine.  I never thought I would like the rod at all until I got it built and cast it a few times then it turned into one of those that you always look at as a go to rod for lighter tackle.

Mike, are you going to get a BIIx?  Those blanks are very reasonably priced compared to the factory built rod!!!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:05:02 AM »
I have not heard of an Elkhorn blank. Are they still in buisness?

I don't know about the BIIx yet. It really depends on how much I like the new 9'6" SLT 5wt I just bought.  I get a little breathing room on Certain blanks but I would have to pay full retail for the BIIx.
How do you like it compared to an SLT? I casted Dans and I loved it. However, I suspect that the Wulff TT line he uses might have had something to do with the way the rod casts.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dleo6446

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
Right you are Mike, that 31' belly on that TT makes it so nice on certain rods.  I get 15 to 20 more feet with it than I do the Sylk on the B twice x rated.  I think the BIIx has a very slight edge on the SLT but would love to compare them side by side on a very busy fishing day.  I can't wait till that Z Axis gets here and I can compare it!!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:45:06 PM »
The Dan Craft arrived today. Leo, you gota see this thing man. It's a very nice looking and feeling blank for around $100! I'm standing here with a 9'6" brand new SLT blank and the Dan Craft trying to determine which one to start on...

I think this Dan Craft blank would make a nice high end build and you stand to make a few extra $$ too.

dleo6446

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 03:56:44 PM »
Mike, going to order me one of them today, which one did you get?  I got my Z axis yesterday and me and Grumpster cast it this morning...what a rod...

If I were you I would build that SLT first....that is one sweet rod, but then again that Dan might jsut be the sleeper ....

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 09:21:08 PM »
I got the Signature V, 9' 5wt. Be sure it's a Sig V and a 4 piece. I would call Dan to place the order also.

I have two FT's and to me they are just really fast. Great for sink tips but not really what I like in a light Trout rod. However I have only built a 7 and 10 so maybe a 4 would be real sweet in an FT...

The Sage is wrapped and awaiting finish. I can't wait to cast it!

dleo6446

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 07:34:21 AM »
What wrapper are you using Mike, I wrap everything by hand with a single station wrapper I built, works great for the boo but is slower than smoke on water...

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:56:05 PM »
Leo I use a wood V block and my fingers.

dleo6446

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:44:12 AM »
yep...me too, bunck of wood blocks, bunch of holes drilled in them, thread tension system that is immaculately engineered (hehehe) a few magnets and presto

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 07:37:36 PM »
Umm, I see you have the deluxe model. Do you have a turner? What RPM if so?

dleo6446

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 08:17:50 PM »
I do have, it is variable speed via pulley changes and goes from as slow as 5 RPM up to about 43 rpm.  I am looking at a wrapper/dryer combo so I can speed up the epoxy process...