Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Wintertime  (Read 2384 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Wintertime
« on: September 27, 2006, 11:28:21 AM »
I was just ordering a new Gore-Tex jacket from Cabelas and I started reminiscing about winter fishing. I do love the Summer time temps, long days, and the colors that spring and summer bring. But, there is something about standing waist deep in cold water when it’s spitting snow that really gets me excited too. It might sound weird but I love wade fishing when its good and cold outside. There's just something about beating the elements and standing in a stream catching fish in defiance of winter’s wrath. The fishing usually isn’t to bad either since most of the crowds are watching football or in the woods hunting.

I remember one time in particular at Gaston’s Resort on the White River when it snowed 8” our second night there. The reporters on the local news were calling it a Thunder snow and that description was pretty accurate. It was thundering and lightning just like a thunderstorm except instead of rain it was snowing so hard you could barely see the cabin next door. The next day was unbelievably cold but hey, we had already paid to be there so we were fishing no matter what. I swear I think we had the river to ourselves, and as it turned out for good reason… The fishing was lousy that day (except for a 15” Brookie) but we did catch enough to keep us out there till almost dark. The fire in the fireplace, the shots of Bourbon, the grilled out food, and the good friends, it was the kind of fun fishing dreams are made of.

I hope to get another trip together this year. For those interested Gaston’s on the White is a very nice Resort and in the winter extremely reasonably priced. If you stay two nights or more during the winter months, you  get 40% off of your cottage rates. So, for four nights for three people in a Deluxe Cabin http://www.gastons.com/rates.htm it comes out to around $150 each, not too bad for four nights on one of the best Trout rivers in the world huh? The weather is a gamble. I like to go around the end of Feb since the regular rates start back in March. Sometimes you get short sleeve weather and sometimes you get Thunder Snow. The crowds are not as bad in winter and the fishing can be phenomenal if you happen to get there during a winter Shad kill.

Here are some links to places I have stayed and liked.
http://www.hisplaceresort.net/
http://www.gastons.com/
www.davywotton.com

Some crappy Photos I took after the snow.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: Wintertime
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:22:49 PM »
Cool man, really cool.

Looks like a possible plan to me.

That boat--Did you fish out of that boat? Looks like a river running son of a gun to me.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:19:40 PM »
Awesome shots!  I love fishing when I have to shake the ice out of my line guides, or dip my reel into the river to get it "un-frozen".

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

troutwag

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:09:48 PM »
One more place I have not made it to!  Looks really cool, not what I pictured in my mind.
Thanks!