Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Old Hickory Dam Report 7/30/08  (Read 1546 times)

Gary

Old Hickory Dam Report 7/30/08
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »
Fished the river below Old Hickory Dam today from 6:00pm till 8:00pm.  started a little slow because I believe the flys I was throwing were too small.  Started with a size 6 baitfish pattern then went to sizes 2 thru 1/0.  Caught some monsteous skipjack.  Caught a few small striper.  Hooked and lost a huge striper.  Got me down to my backing twice then I lost him. Caught him about 12 ft from the boat.  Was fishing a 7wt and he made it feel like a 4wt.  Well, at least I did half of it right.  Some spin guys were killing the striper with some big baits down on the bottom.  Will take the 9wt and my sinking lines next time.  Wasn't planning on them running so big.  Thanks for the info Mike  I didn't think they had started yet.

Good luck,
Gary

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Old Hickory Dam Report 7/30/08
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:39:40 AM »
Wish I could join ya. How is security around the ramp now? Last time I was there I was afraid to leave a truck in the lot.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Gary

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:11:45 PM »
I've not a had a problem yet in the past few years fishing it out of a boat.  Maybe you can join me next time.

Gary

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »
Gary, check your pm's. 
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach