Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 40/30 Yamahamer Jet  (Read 4326 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
40/30 Yamahamer Jet
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »
I just ordered a 30hp at the jet tiller outboard from a company in Texas. She is a dealer and has two of these bad boys left. They are new 2004 Yamaha 40/30 tiller jets with a 3 year warranty for $3800 + shipping. She split the shipping with me. If your interested in a jet this is a great price.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: 40/30 Yamahamer Jet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »
Damn boys, I remember this like it was yesterday.... Wish I could get another one for $3800... They are $6500 now.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
Damn boys, I remember this like it was yesterday.... Wish I could get another one for $3800... They are $6500 now.

Ouch!! That is $1500 more than I paid for mine in 2007.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »
I broke the Yamaha completely apart this year due poor running and low compression. Turns out that despite that all the local dealers/mechanics will tell you that there aren't any compression relief mechanisms in the head of this engine,,,, there are(Thanks Glen Hawkins). You have to get the engine up past an idle to get an accurate compression reading. Once again the dealers are a big disappointment (they set it on fire doing warranty work on an oil seal leak in the head years ago!). I broke mine apart thinking I had a compression issue and was perplexed when all the tolerances passed a mic test with flying colors. I went ahead replaced the rings (they were brittle) and all the required gaskets. FYI: I Found lots of grease in the coolant chambers that get there when you’re pumping in grease and it’s not coming out (Be sure to keep the overflow grease tube free of old thick grease to prevent this). I had Mikes speed shop do a head overhaul just because I had it off and I didn’t want to do it myself when they would do it for $140. I’ve had the Carbs off twice and been all the way through them. I still have a hesitation between idle and WOT but overall it’s working fine for now. I plan on getting a carburetor synchronizer kit and trying to find out which carb or what the issue is later this winter. To be fair I’ve had pretty much every bolt off this motor and jet pump at least once. I rebuilt the Jet (replaced the main bearings just because) a few years ago.

So almost 11 years, a bazillion miles wide open, and she’s still going strong. These are very simple engines and super easy to work on. If you own one, and have decent mechanical skills, you can fix anything on it. It’s hard to imagine switching to a newer engine now.

bee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »
my mid 90s 40/30 4 cylinder merc has given me some issues for the first time this summer.  had some things replaced but $1000 sure beats having to replace   it.   still need to replace or file down the impellor but don't have guts to do it myself.    The years ago I rarely saw a jet on  a river.

I see a ton of jets now in east Tenn , especially the smallmouth guys. 

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Filing the impeller is not difficult:  http://www.outboardjets.com/pdfs/IMPELLERSHARPENING.pdf

I would consider a new plastic intake at the same time.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
Yea getting the impeller out and filing it down is pretty easy. I've done it several times now and also replaced the sacrificial liner once too. Easy job. Replacing the bearings is a little tougher but the good folks at outboard jets are glad to help you out if you call them. Haven’t damaged my housing much yet. The rockered hull on the rear of the Supreme, plus the jet tunnel, keeps the housing outa harms most of the time.The middle of my boat usually hits before the rear.

Here’s a video that shows the rear rocker hull design.This was taken at Cypress springs in FL. An amazing place to visit!!!! Bring your jet.
https://youtu.be/fjJdgpdVqeU?t=222