Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: clinch patterns  (Read 8410 times)

Eastwood

clinch patterns
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »
a couple buddies and i are headin to the clinch for this next weekend. i have never fished this river before and was wondering what yall tend to throw there. including streamers(if they are effective there)

east
never break two laws at once

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Re: clinch patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »
If they aren't generating, expect long sluggish pools with occaisional gentle riffles, and deep drop-offs.  The fish will be midging quite heavy in selective pods... so plently of fine X flouro and long leaders will pay off.  Smaller buggers will probably do the trick in low flow, too.
A boat is best for access, but the float to Clinton from Peach Orchard is long and requires generation and a good craft.  LOTs of log jams in the super deep run below I 75 bridge is good on generation with big flashy streamers (your pick)...
We had one go at the night fishing, but the foggy weather messed it up...betcha on the right night it would be scary big fishin'. ;)

If you got the means, and the water's not coming, I'd float down a mile or so from Peach Orchard access, and get on the shoals.  If you're just wading, Miller's Island and Weir dam areas have walk in access, but deep water will prevent you from shoal hopping too much.

Here's a map....good luck.

http://www.creelflyfishing.com/images2/ClinchRiverTroutFishingMap.pdf

Travis

Eastwood

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »
alright man thanks alot for the info

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
Sure thing...

Forgot to mention...the Jail wade in access (up river from Clinton) is known for it's accessible shoals.  You'll surely have some company if the water's low...but you probably have some room to spread out with several anglers.  If you guys are just wading...this is probably where I would start off.

Eastwood

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:33:16 PM »
alright man cool i think were actually waiting till after the break to go for different reasons but ya thanks alot we will definitly do that if we dont take the drift boat

marriemb

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »
share some pictures of the trip