Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: TROLLIN DHL FOR BOWS IN JANUARY/A FISHING REPORT  (Read 5551 times)

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
TROLLIN DHL FOR BOWS IN JANUARY/A FISHING REPORT
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:31:47 AM »
TROLLED THE LAKE ALL DAY ON THE 26TH, IT WAS OVERCAST AND A LITTLE WINDY.THE WATER TEMP WAS 41.WE GOT TWO NICE BOWS, ONE A SOLID 5LBS.IT WAS SLOW GOING BUT WORTH IT......WE ALLSO SAW A BALD EAGLE AND A WHITE OSPREY.THE BOWS CAME FROM 20FT&40FT ON SPOONS FISHED FROM DOWN RIGGERS ON THE LOWER END OF THE LAKE.   DAVE
Dave   

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: TROLLIN DHL FOR BOWS IN JANUARY/A FISHING REPORT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
Is there ever any need in fishing below 40' for these guys?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Kylemc

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
TROLLED THE LAKE ALL DAY ON THE 26TH, IT WAS OVERCAST AND A LITTLE WINDY.THE WATER TEMP WAS 41.WE GOT TWO NICE BOWS, ONE A SOLID 5LBS.IT WAS SLOW GOING BUT WORTH IT......WE ALLSO SAW A BALD EAGLE AND A WHITE OSPREY.THE BOWS CAME FROM 20FT&40FT ON SPOONS FISHED FROM DOWN RIGGERS ON THE LOWER END OF THE LAKE.   DAVE

why are you screaming ;D

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »
Hey Mike,not this time of year but july thru sept. I troll down to 100+ .Last summer we got an 8LB bow at 65ft and a 7+lb brown at 55ft.Twice in aug trollin 80ft down over 140 ft of water my down rigger rod bent down and touched the water one snapped my leader the other go off.Oh yea ,Iwas listening to really loud music when I wrote the report.
Dave   

Kylemc

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
I understand.

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »

why are you screaming ;D

DON'T BE AN E TN REDNECK KYLE...WE STILL LOVE YOU OVER HERE... ;D
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
Wow - if the trout are at 40 feet when it's this cold out, I may be out of luck in hoping they will come within range of a flyrod.

Do you ever see them in any numbers near the surface?

bd

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »
Hey bd,It can be narrowed down.They move up usually in nov. when the surface temp drops below 60 degrees.I've caught them shallow from then until the srface temp rises above 60.For the best numbers the fall thru turn over is best because the population is still within 5 or 6 miles from the dam.After turn over they scatter thru out the whole lake from one end to the other.Once the water temp. starts to rise in the spring they migrate to the lower end.Still the backs of the creeks all winter,like horse creek.I think you said you tried Dale Hollow branch,I've never really caught bows in there.I don't know why,it really does'nt make any sense,you think they'd be in there....
Dave   

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
I've often wondered if some of them make a spawning run up the Obey? There almost has to be some sort of run there you'd think and it should be going on now....
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
your probably on to something  ,that would explain why they've been found in sulfer creek in ky in early april.The two i got on the 26th were in the channel near the dam.So some stick around their summer haunt.
Dave   

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
The two i got on the 26th were in the channel near the dam.

You know, last time I was on Dale Hollow I saw some loons swimming out in the open water on the main lake.  I am sure they were probably following schools of shad or alewives around.  I pay close attention to the birds when I am looking for stripers, but I was looking for the trout a little shallower and a little closer to shore.

Maybe I should have been sitting by the birds throwing sinking lines.

Fishfindergeneral, does anybody cast for the trout on the lake side, or is it mainly a trolling game? 

bd

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
Hey bd,People do but i always troll,it's a numbers game.For casting go to Horse Creek marina.People catch nice ones off the dock this time of year.
Dave