Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cotton Mouth  (Read 18688 times)

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Cotton Mouth
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »
My friend in TDOT sent me this image taken from a conservation easement area. Be careful out there.

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Cotton Mouth
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
was this in middle tn?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
My friend's office is here in Nashville and I am assuming it was In Middle TN.... He mentioned that it was nearby.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
I asked because you just don't see many of those in these parts usually. I've fished/waded creeks and rivers around here all my life and have never seen one. Lots of banded water snake look alikes but no Cotton Mouths.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Looper Flies

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:41:50 PM »
I was at Walter Hill this morning doing a little wet wading -- i had a two snakes swim right by me!  They probably weren't poisonous.  Just little water snakes.
Fish on!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
I saw one in the creek behind my parents house in Donelson when I was growing up but that was a number of years ago, have never seen another, thank goodness. I hear the bite is extremely painful.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
dang, looks more like a rattler to me :o Cottonmouths have been spotted an hour west of Nashville, with the Gore warming, they're moving on up along with armadillos & a roadrunner or two(beepbeep)

Grumpy

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:27:37 AM »
dang, looks more like a rattler to me :o Cottonmouths have been spotted an hour west of Nashville, with the Gore warming, they're moving on up along with armadillos & a roadrunner or two(beepbeep)

Grumpy

Don't forget the Fire Ants!!!!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
I was at Walter Hill this morning doing a little wet wading -- i had a two snakes swim right by me!  They probably weren't poisonous.  Just little water snakes.

Well I guess I can forget fishing at Walter Hill with Jarrod now.  ;D

One thing about the venomous snakes is you'll know them when you see them. I've only seen two Rattlers, both on the remote trails in Fall Creek Falls and a Couple of Copperheads, one when I was a kid flipping rocks looking for fishing worms and another a friend found run over on the road in Gladeville. Rattlers are the gentlemen of the woods. The two I've seen were very non aggressive towards us. One of them was sunning on the trail and we had to use a stick to move him along. He just shook his tail a few times and slithered off into a rock. The Copperhead I found looking for worms was much the same. It never made an aggressive move at us at all. We were going to kill it because it was living at our fishing pond but it got away before the gun arrived.

Small or baby snakes scare me the most because you just can’t identify them easily. BD and I found a bunch of tiny banded water snakes while wading the Caney one day. They thought we were a place to get out of the water and were swimming right up to us!! 

Looper Flies

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 06:43:14 AM »
This past Sunday, me and a buddy were floating the Buffalo in search of small jaws -- We got hung in a tree shorty after put-in so we paddled our canoe over to the tree.  My partner-in-crime reached out to grab a root on the bank, but it wasn't a root.  His hand got about 3 inches from the snake, which he swears was a copperhead, before it was startled and quickly slithered away.  It took my buddy around 5 minutes before he could fish again.
Fish on!

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »
Since we have a snake thread started, I will share an image my friend from Texas sent...

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »
Good Lord!

RSiegmann

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »
I hope the man holding the snake is only 5' tall ... even then that's a hell of a snake ...

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
I see copperheads all the time around the Harpeth.  The old-timers in Franklin call the ridge near the Natchez Trace bridge "Rattlesnake Ridge".  I took my nephews and my sons up there to walk across the bridge once, and they walked right over a 5' rattler.  He coiled up and took a strike at me since I was the last to go by, but I dodged him and then kicked him into the weeds.  That was a close one!  :o

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »
When I see em, the only kicken I do is kicken into high gear.
I just don't care!