Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Mill Creek - Hickman County  (Read 9064 times)

Travis C.

Mill Creek - Hickman County
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »
Does anyone know if this creek holds over any trout?

Has anyone ever fished it?

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Mill Creek - Hickman County
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
I have fished it and it does hold over a few trout in some deep holes. By hold over, I mean they will last into the warmer months until the water temps get to high or flow gets too low.

Fun little creek to fish.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
Steve, when did you go?

Time of year I mean. Do you have to wait until after the first round of stockings?

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
ssshhhhhhhhhhhh.....   ;)
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:13 PM »
 ;D Travis, shoot me a PM and I will give you all the details. Don't need Todd on my back.  ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

oldtimer

• "The mountains are calling and I must go."
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
My son and I usually fish it in the spring, after stocking begins.  Last year, TWRA didn't stock it as much as in the past.  We went only 1 time, and that was it.  Slow.  I wouldn't waist my time with it! ....   ;D ::)

tnridgerunner

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »
Haven't fished it in years, but one reason is that it was one of the snakiest places I've ever been in Tennessee.

I know some people swear there are no cottonmouths that high and that far east, but if they want to examine the dental work it's okay with me. And if that isn't enough, there isn't any mistake about what rattles along the bank.

Don't guess you'd have that problem if you wanted to fish it right now. I have seen some good fish in it.

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:40 PM »
You got that right - I have seen a lot of snakes in that area as well, and on the Piney too.  I've even seen them up in the tree branches overhanging the water.  That's enough to creep me out!

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Travis C.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
Guys, guys, I hear all the legends of ole monster brown that lurks in those snake infested waters.  ;D

Nah, I was just wondering if the TWRA map was accurate and was a legitimate trout creek non-winter stockign program. I never knew of any other than Ft Campbell in west TN.

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
It's been many years, but once I ventured on a "scouting trip" to Mill Creek in late July and found a few trout still holding in the deeper holes away from the access points.  It was a wet year when the Caney was not doing well.  I would assume some of those fish were likely to successfully hold over, because a trout that makes it to late July is likely to make it through the whole year.  Mill Creek has a reputation for holding over some fish in wet years, and I've talked to more than one person who has claimed that they've caught 2-3 lb. rainbows there.  As with all of the spring creeks, the survival potential of the fish depends on how much rain we get in the summer.  You have to have enough spring water entering the system to keep the creek in a non-lethal temp range.

Many years ago, both Mill Creek and the Piney River (where Mill Creek ends) would hold trout.  In fact, the Piney is still listed in some records as a "naturally reproducing trout stream."  However, municipal development has sucked most of the water out of the Piney and the springs that feed it, and it no longer has enough flow to stay cool enough to support trout.

I quit going to Mill Creek because a lot of the landowners are assholes and think TWRA stocks the creek for their exclusive benefit.  TWRA says landowners are "expected" to grant access, and maybe the situation has improved in the intervening years, but I encountered a lot of "no trespassing" signs, unfriendly landowners, and barking dogs.

This ought to be a really good year for the spring creeks, since we had a cool, wet summer last year and we seem to be due for another one if the El Nino weather condtions hold up.  I would expect a good likelihood of seeing some nice holdover fish.  So if there was ever a year to check out Mill Creek or any of the other spring creeks, this is probably it.

bd