Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Air Flo Lines  (Read 1933 times)

Travis C.

Air Flo Lines
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:48:37 PM »
I have been looking into the Ridgeline Series but you never hear much about anybody using Airflo.

Has anyone tried them or have any opinions on the lines?

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
Re: Air Flo Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »
I have been through several of their lines, mostly in four and five weight. The area rep always leaves a few demos at the shop each season. I would rank them well below SA or even rio lines in durablilty, slickness and memory. I would never pay for an airflo line but since i get them for free l do use them in the winter or spool them on backup reels.

I have tried 3-4 different tapers of lines from them, ridgeline, sixth sense, and tactical trout. The ridgeline was way better than the others but performance was still marginal. I just took one of of a reel and it seemed to have the stiffest core of any line. Not sure if it was the cold temps but it just wouldn't straighten out. Even when i stretched it out the line would stay fairly kinky.  I say don't waste your money and just get an SA line.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
Travis, I have Airlfo ridgeline on one reel that I use on my XP 5wt 9ft and have not had any issues. It is plenty slick and casts very well. You are more than welcome to try it out anytime you wish.

It is 2 years old now and has held up well.

My take is YMMV.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, my lines are staring down the barrel of a third season and it is time to start replacing. I don't fish as often as I like or I would have changed them already. I will start searching for a good replacement to my 5,6,& 7wt floaters but my 6wt full sink my have to wait. Thinkin about changing it to a sinking head though.

Troy Basso

• Creeks Bend Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, my lines are staring down the barrel of a third season and it is time to start replacing. I don't fish as often as I like or I would have changed them already. I will start searching for a good replacement to my 5,6,& 7wt floaters but my 6wt full sink my have to wait. Thinkin about changing it to a sinking head though.

Travis I just finished doing a review for RIO on their trout LT and its a very good line.