Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Looking for CC boat  (Read 4107 times)

advocate

Looking for CC boat
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:35:12 AM »
Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the hours that I spend wasting looking at the fishing pics and posts!

I am currently looking for my second boat and want to get some feedback from other "more experienced" fishermen and boaters. I need advice on brands of boats (17-22ft) and also outboards (Honda/Merc/Yamaha) I plan on doing a lot of trolling and also anchored catfishing. I do not plan on ever using it as a shallow river boat, but have always wanted to fish the current on the Caney.

Any help is appreciated!

Matt Simms

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Looking for CC boat
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:01:44 PM »
Matt if you can afford it, go with a Ranger or a Triton CC. I want a Ranger flats boat sooooo bad. If you buy one used that’s already taken the first year or two of depreciation and baby it you'll be amazed at how well they retain their value. That first couple of years depreciation on a new rig hurts pretty bad. For a cheaper glass boat the Mako at Bass Pro looks pretty good.

Outboards,,, I’ve had good and bad, mostly good. Yamaha seems to have a pretty strong following at the time. I couldn’t bad mouth any motors since I own A Yamaha, Mercury,  OMC, and just sold a Honda. I like em all. As far as the larger motors for a 22’ CC I wouldn’t know what to tell you except get your wallet ready.  I have been toying for a few years with buying a 21’ Sea Ark Aluminum boat and putting my 125 Merc on it. This would make a nice fuel friendly Striper guide boat.

There is a member here that works for Triton. If he reads this he'll chime in I'm sure. 

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

advocate

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:24:05 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I will be adding a T-top to the boat. Can you have a T-top on an aluminum boat? I also want the full rigged option with bait-well and downriggers. I know that this is going to cost me a small fortune, but I cant take it with me and work so hard that time away from here is intended to be fishing and not finding problems with my boat. I want a solid boat (preferably used) that will last me a few years and have good resale. I currently own an inboard (Mastercraft) and fish from a Bumble Bee (Fish and Ski 180) The BB is Dad's boat and he lives too far away to be convenient. I want to hear the boats to shy away from also.

MS

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
Yes T-tops will work on an aluminum. If you bait fish the Sea Ark Striper (pictured above) model comes with a 30 gal Ron Vest Super tank in front of the console plus a 40 gal livewell. I could keep enough Shad and Skipjack to last a week in that boat. I have been in the Sea Ark Striper and IMO for the money this is the boat to have. The amount of room in that boat is amazing. If you want a smooth ride in heavy chop you'll want to go with glass. I can’t help much there.

Bandad (another board member) has a boat like what you’re looking for and last I heard he was in the mood to sell it. It’s a real sweet Champion, very high end boat Bay boat with a Big Yamaha. He’s taken very good care of it and the price he quoted me had me wanting it for myself. I’m sure he’ll tune in later. He’s also a good guy to talk about the larger outboards and boats.

I would steer away from any of the lesser know boats. I really don’t want to say anything bad about any of them unless I have personal experiences with them.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

B PRICE

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
T TOPS? I had T tops on a 1987 mustang but I thought our boats  were  all convertables  ;)
B PRICE

dleo6446

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:11 PM »
DOH!!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »
I had an 18' SeaArk once, great boats. I'd go with a 4 Stroke if you're planning on trolling, quiter & will holdup to the low RPM's.

Grumpy

advocate

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the advice about the 4 stroke. I would like to get a larger engine for the boat, and maybe a kicker to help trolling. Can you slow troll with a larger (150hp) engine and be effective?

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 05:56:34 PM »
Hey guys.

Thanks Mike. You're right, I do kinda have the bug for something different though I have to admit I like my boat...just can't rationalize that one and what I have in mind at the moment.

Advocate, I have a bay boat that sure sounds like exactly what you described. It is a 2001 21' Champion w/250 Yamaha OX66.  I'll post more details later, but it's set up for bait fishing as well as trolling both freshwater and saltwater. I just finished installing an oxygen system for the livewell too.

As for a few of your questions:

* T-Tops...the thing you have to be aware of with T-Tops is that they shift the center of gravity on a boat. How much it moves largely depends on the weight of the hull among other things. Point being that on a lighter hull it can make it more tippy than most folks prefer. Obviously hull shape plays a big role in that too. 

*Trolling: I  can troll for a long time with the OB engine I have without it being a problem. I just make sure to run it at WOT for a little while before I load it up. Part of the reason I can do that is that on the engine I have only 4 cylinders fire below, I think, 2000 rpm or something like that.  I do have trouble trolling below 3 mph using the OB motor though. A set of trim tabs might reduce that speed some.

Ask any specific questions you'd like. I'll try to get some boat details and photos posted soon.

Tim

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 12:00:44 AM »
I was hoping BandDad would chime in.

I was lusting after his boat pretty badly for a while there. OK, I still do but it's just not in the budget.

I have been on this boat numerous times. Fished from it in the boils with generators running, mellow Cumberland and lower Caney Fork drifts, and on JPP. It just feels good. It's solid. Stable. You just never worry about things like sinking or the wind or current on this boat.  It's a boater's boat.

When the wind really picks up, the  flats boats and bass boats will be heading for the ramp. In this boat, you just fish till you get tired or the lightning gets too close. 

If you haven't been on a bay boat, you should go for a test ride.  I really like the part where you get to drive standing up doing 50.  And it's S M OOO T H. 8)
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:51 PM »

As promised here is some more detail on my boat should anyone be interested.

As I said before the hull is a 2001 21' Champion BayChamp model with a 250 yamaha (1998) engine. The motor is mounted on a 10" T&H Marine manual jackplate.  Here is a list of extras on the boat:

* Digital Yamaha gauges including fuel mgmt gauge. The fuel Mgmt gauge  alone costs $650 new.

* 24V MinnKota Riptide Autopilot T/m. I believe 70 Ft*lbs thrust, but I'm not sure. Apparently this is the only one of these units built that does what it is advertised to do. As Ron, Mike and Jay can attest it gets the job done. The motor is mounted on a quick disconnect plate.

* There are 8 quick release, flush mount adjustable rod holders. Four on the gunnels and four more across the front edge of the rear deck.

* Four stainless gunnel mount rod holders.

* Two removable telescoping 15' TACO outriggers and rigging.

* Five Pop-up Accon Marine stainless cleats

* Onboard dual 10 amp charger

* Raymarine VHF radio & 8' antenna

* Three stainless, rail mount Lee's tulip style rod holders

* DC aeration pump connected to the recirculation pump ciruit (like you'd use with an aquarium, but 12Vdc)

* Battery isolation switch

*Lowrance LCX 17M sonar added this year

*Garmin GPSmap 72 added this year & interfaced to the sonar

*RF controlled removable spotlight

*Hamby's beaching bumper (prob the best $500 I spent on the boat)

*Illuminated 3" Ritchie compass

*Oxygen aeration system

*Brushed aluminum trailer wheels including spare

*Full custom canvas cover

All four of the batteries on the boat have been replaced during 2006. This past spring I also serviced the O2 sensor and replaced all 3 of the low pressure fuel pumps on the motor on a preventative basis. Just between the batteries, battery isolation switch, sonar and fuel pumps I've put well over $1000 into  equipment and maintenance for the boat this year.  The boat sits on a dual axle galvanized EZ Loader trailer made for the hull. All tires have plenty of tread.

I really haven't thought much about selling the boat lately so when Mike asked what I thought it was worth I just threw a guesstimate out...might have been reasonable, might not have been.  According to the NADA guide the average retail value of the boat and trailer is approximately $12,600 while the corresponding value for the engine is roughly $6,100 indicating a retail value without all the extras in the area of $18,700.  The boat sells for well in excess of $40K new.  I'd be willing to entertain any reasonable offers.  As for your list of things you'd like to do Advocate, this boat was designed and equipped to do exactly those things. I have also been surprisingly far up the Caney in it too...and could go further than I have. Here are some more pictures....

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:16:44 AM »
dang bandad, i'd almost deplete my fly rod collection just to fill all those rod holders :o

Grumpy

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
 ;D

Yeah...I have this disease you see...can't have only one (and preferably not just 2 if you've got kids that fish too) of anything with you when you go to the water and I MUST take everything I own with me everytime I go!  Believe it or not I actually wind up rationalizing which rods I'm going to take almost every time I go fishing just because I still don't have enough places to put everything.  It's a dang shame the fish don't respect that fact and just surrender! Dumb 'ol fish.  ;)

advocate

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 11:09:31 AM »
Now...I just could not make an offer on this boat. You can tell that it is your pride and joy, and what would you do without her (but buy another one)....

Have you ever thought about putting a T-top on it? Would it make it top heavy? I have been looking at a few brands and they seem to all me somewhat similar, but also somewhat different. I have looked at EdgeWater, Carolina Skiff, and even ventured into the Bumble Bee Bay series.....I am wanting to do more bait type fishing than anything else. So downriggers will be something on my boat.  I am also envious of the TWRA Triton boats. They are SWEET.

Thanks for all of the pictures and if you have a price that you are looking for and really want to get rid of her...shoot me a PM. I will keep it between us.

And....if you are in need of printing, maybe we could work out a great deal!!
MS

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 11:58:40 AM »
Hey Advocate;

Sorry to be so slow in responding...things have just been nuts around here the last couple of weeks...I mean, I'm talking RonS kinda busy!!  ;D

Anyhow, I showed you most of the good stuff, so it's only fair that I point out the boat's "warts" too since any used boat WILL have them.

1. Trip before last the back rest cushion on the flip back of the cooler seat blew off somewhere on the way to the ramp. 

2. A few years ago a not so avid boater friend of mine was parking the truck/trailer after we launched the boat and ran the trailer into the bumper of another vehicle. Left this dent in the trailer fender.

3. Not long after I got this hull I was fishing in Appalachicola bay with our younger son when we got turned around in the dark and I found some wet sand that was marked as water on the chart...where I managed to brush the port aft side of the boat up against a metal rod someone had driven into the bottom. It left these scratches.

There aer of course other less significant little dings here and there to be found on any boat that actually leaves the driveway, but nothing meaningful.  I'll PM you a number shortly and we can take it from there if you have any interest.

As for me, well, while I really do like my boat and it does pretty much everything I want to do. my fishing interests have shifted a bit since I bought it so I'm kinda leaning a different direction at the moment and can't rationalize keeping this boat AND buying another. 

Regarding the other mfg's you mentioned in your post, Edgewater makes a fine boat. As you probably know already though, be prepared to pay for it! :-)  Personally I'd steer clear of the Carolina Skiff though for a variety of reasons, though it depends to some extent on which of their hulls you're looking at and what you want from the boat. They're certainly not in the same class as Edgewater, or, Champion for that matter. At least that's how I see it..and of course opinions are like noses...we all have them!

Tim

oops...almost forgot the T-top Q...yes, I have thought about putting a T-Top on it...it's one of the few things I really wish was there that's not. At one point I got the underhull layout from Champion so I could have one put on it but then life got in the way and I never got it done. Also not long after I got this hull Champion started offering T-Tops as a factory option for the hull.  If I'm not mistaken those are actually built in Smyrna now fwiw. I think it would be a heck of an addition and though it might slow the boat down some or effect the way it trailers a bit I don't think it would make the boat tippy at all. This is a VERY stable platform. You can't hardly make it lean when it's not running.