Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: info on a reel  (Read 1100 times)

AlaRoadMan

info on a reel
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »
Ok, here's the deal, I seem to remember this reel, but, I'm really not sure.
 It is a "Perrine" #57 Automatic Fly Reel. Made In USA. Mfg. Aladdin Labs. Inc., Mpls., Minn.

Anybody remember this reel? mayb tell me how old it is? value? the reel is in great shape and works perfect.

Thanks for any info
James

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: info on a reel
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:52:07 AM »
James, couldn't find a lot on the 57 but I found this link for you.

http://www.langsauction.com/assets/1/langstextonlycat1107.pdf

Search for Perrine when the PDF loads.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

AlaRoadMan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
Thanks Steve.

I guess it not worth a lot, But what the heck, it was a really neat looking reel. Most likely I'll never use it, just be something I can say I got one.

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Perrine made thousands of those automatic fly reels and they were nicknamed  "tip breakers".  the 57 was primarily a trout reel and was made for many years.  Youwont find very much information about them online but you can find many of htose reels in the Vintage section of Fishing on EBay.  They will sell anywhere from around $10 up to 40 or 45 if the box and instrutions are there and you find the right buyer.

They got the name tip breaker because far too many people would have too much tension on the recoil spring and would hold the lever down until all the line pulled the fly against the tip-top and it would snap a tip off in a blink of an eye.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »

They got the name tip breaker because far too many people would have too much tension on the recoil spring and would hold the lever down until all the line pulled the fly against the tip-top and it would snap a tip off in a blink of an eye.

hmm, must've been what we had as teenagers, they'd snap one in a heartbeat :-\

Grumpy

AlaRoadMan

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks Leo and Grumpy,,

I didn't really think the reel would be worth a whole lot, but I figure it has some age on it, but it still looks in really great shape for it's age. (I wish I looked as good as this reel does for my age.)