Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cutting down a rod  (Read 3398 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Cutting down a rod
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »

2 or 3 years ago I built myself an ultralight spinning rod using this St Croix blank:

3S70ULF  7'   1pc   2-6lb line   1/32-3/16 lure weight  FAST (action)   .35  (butt diameter) 4 (tip size  1.6 (oz weight)

How on earth they arrived at a description of "fast" for this blank completely eludes me...the action is definitely not fast - moderate to slow would be a more accurate description.  For that reason combined with the fact that I don't really do what I built it for anymore I've been thinking I might cut it down to make a better (for my preferences) creek fishing rod out of it.  Basically I'm thinking something in the 5' length range with hopefully a much faster action than what it's got now.

My question is this: is there any way to reasonably guestimate what sort of action you'll get from a cut down rod at various cut locations? Wow, that's worded awkwardly --- wish I could blame in on the residual effects of the meds from y'days dental surgery --  ;)  --- anyway what I'm trying to get at is whether or not there is a way to be able to tell what sort of action you'll get based on different cut locations?

On the other hand - if someone is interested in a practically new (I've hardly used it) custom built ultra light St Croix spinning rod - make me an offer! 

TIA for any help.

Tim

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: Cutting down a rod
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »
Basic answer is don't if your wanting to make it faster, just get another blank.  Of course you could extend the rod to make it faster too (but it again it is easier just to get another blank, IMO).

From Tom Kirkman:

Action - Shortening the blank from either end will slow the action.

Power - Cutting from the tip increases the upper casting weight limit, the power remains mostly the same. Cutting from the butt reduces the power, casting weight range remains mostly unchanged.

TimM

• FishHead
Re: Cutting down a rod
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I sure am unclear on the logic behind why shortening from the tip end would make the action slower though. Intuitively it seems that if you remove the more flexible portion of the rod then the action of the remaining section would be faster.  Never did it before though, so what do I know?  :)  Wish I understood why this is so.

Anyone in the market for a nice custom built St Croix SCIII ultralight spinning rod? Heck, it's not even all gaudied up like I usually make my striper rods!  :D