Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Any Suggestions for Dale Hollow Christmas Weekend?  (Read 5461 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Any Suggestions for Dale Hollow Christmas Weekend?
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
My family is going to be renting a cabin on Dale Hollow for Christmas Weekend, from Thursday night to Sunday.  I'll definitely be fishing all day Friday, and probably bits and pieces here and there on Saturday and Sunday as I can sneak away.

I mostly prefer to fly fish, so if the generation schedule permits, I'll probably spend most of my time on the Obey.  However, the schedule has not looked very favorable for the last few weeks, so I need a "Plan B."

What's happening on the lake side?  Are there any trout shallow enough in meaningful numbers that I could get a fly or a spinner or something to them?

If the trout are a no-go, should I buy a few dozen tuffies and try to find some smallies, or does anyone have any better ideas?

I'm far more comfortable on rivers than on lakes, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bd

Catchingtrout

Re: Any Suggestions for Dale Hollow Christmas Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
Call Dave

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »
Will you have a boat?
Dave   

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 07:58:37 PM »
Yes, I will be bringing my Gheenoe.

bd

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
send me a PM
Dave   

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
I asked you to send me a PM because I have not figured out how to send you one...
Dave   

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
PM sent.  Sorry, I would have sent one yesterday but I got busy. 

Thanks!

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »
click on the profile and then and the send PM link is in there. I had to do some mods to enable members to see profiles.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
Well, Dale was a bit of a bust.  With the nasty weather, family coming in to visit, and a sick daughter, I only got a few short hours on the lake.  I had gotten a couple tips on some places to look for trout, but our cabin was on a different part of the lake, so I was on my own.  I did run into a local near one of the marinas who said the trout come into the back of that particular creek in the winter, but they hadn't shown up yet.  

Friday would have been the perfect day to go, but we got into the cabin late Thursday night, and then I was up until 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. putting together Christmas presents for the kids - my wife bought motorized scooters with "some assembly required" - I think you needed an Engineering degree from MIT and a minor in Chinese studies to read the assembly instructions.  So Friday I was a bit wiped out and unmotivated, so I slept late and lazed around instead of fishing.  I figured I'd just go Saturday, but that was a mistake because the weather turned bad.

I did spend a while scouting on Saturday - looking for fish activity, risers, bait, or anything, but didn't see much.  I cast a streamer on the fly rod and an in-line spinner but no takers.  I don't know if it was bad technique, bad conditions, or just the wrong place.  That's the tough thing about unfamiliar water.  Then the wind started ripping and the snow started coming down hard, so I retreated to the cabin to sit in front of the fire and drink wine instead.

I have a lead or two to follow up on in the next couple months, so maybe I'll go back and try again with a little better weather.

Thanks in particular to Dave for some suggestions on places to try.  I didn't get to those places this time but  I will be back soon.

bd