Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Upper Obey?  (Read 3201 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Upper Obey?
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this river? I'm going to have to go give it a looking at pretty soon. According to Google Maps there are miles of river up there and best I can tell not many people fishing it, unless nobody talks about it,,,EVER!  I'm a river kind of guy and I'm betting there is some awesome scenery to be seen up there. Not to mention the Smallmouth and potential Trout fishery. As Feb comes to a close and the days are getting longer and hopefully warmer, the Smallies will start getting aggressive and moving upstream to spawn. DH has got some monster Smallies and I'm thinking the river ought to be crawling with them. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. There's a special place in my heart for them Bronze fishes.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Re: Upper Obey?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
I trekked down below Dale Hollow Dam once during a day of scouting and caught sight of some Bull sized Carp grazing in the flat still water----tried my best to get one to eat a fly without success.  The river seemed to have no flow in that area, but you could tell that the waters had some trout holding potential due to water temps and clarity.  I'd say to try scouting the mid river area for elevation change/shoals or try the jet when some current is flowing.

Good Luck, and tell us what you find

Travis

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »
Travis I'm talking about the river where it enters Dale Hollow Reservoir. The Obey tailwater does hold good numbers of stocked Trout, with a few reaching trophy size.

Are you back in TN now?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »
My bad, Mike...I've only been to that area a few times.

Still stuck in Memphis...planning on moving East to the TriCities in July to start or join a dental practice---it will be quite busy until then.

I too am a big smallmouth fan, and I grew up close to an unbelievable fishery near my home in Kingsport.  We have the confluence of the North and South Fork of the Holston Rivers, which is basically 500 + yards of prime shoals.  Each year from late March through April there are several pods of fish that stack up---which has made some wonderful memories for my brother and I over the years.  If you're ever up that way, let me know, and I'll point you to them...I've pulled in several up to 4lbs, and my brother has brought in a few over 6lbs---one over 8.  None on a flyrod yet, but it's been a while since I've been there in the Spring.

Travis