Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Muskie report 2/24/2007  (Read 2203 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Muskie report 2/24/2007
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:05:59 PM »
Well Sat was one of those days when fly fishing is out of the question. I tried it for about 10 min but the wind would blow any line I stripped in back into the water. 25 to 30 mph gusts made it ridiculous to even try it.

Once we switched over to gear the fishing was still slow. The low light seemed like a perfect time but there was nothing stirring anywhere. No birds, squirrels, ducks, nothing. The cows in a field close to us were all standing close together and staring at us like we were crazy.

We did get one good hit early that somehow managed to get away and leave Jay’s line looking like it had been in a blender. Then I drew a very large Muskie in close but for whatever reason he turned away. Jay cast in the direction of the follow and caught one that was smaller but still a decent fish. It was his first Muskie. We decided that we were pretty lucky to get anything and that continuing was futile so we ended the trip.

The barometer was at 29.9 in the morning and dropped to 29.7 (poor) later in the day. So far I'm seeing an effect on the fishing and wildlife activity in general based on Barometer readings. 

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Muskie report 2/24/2007
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
Good pics Mike and better to fish with any gear than none at all (like me).

From the looks of the pics, it was blustery!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
Way to go guys.

Nice fish Jay.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

JayA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:02:35 AM »
It was a cold windy day and a good bit of rain but through it all Mike produced a Muskie for me.  To tell someone you have never caught a Muskie and always wanted to and then to have them deliver on the first trip in a few hours is incredible!  The Muskie is, after all, called the fish of a thousand casts and I made far far less than that in a couple of hours.

Thanks Mike for a great trip as always.  I hope to fish more often this year and yesterday was a great start!

Jay