Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Steam Plant?  (Read 9546 times)

toddro

• FishHead
Steam Plant?
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
Anyone fishing The steam plant yet this year?  Any reports?  Buddy of mine invited me out on his boat next week and is wanting to give it a try...
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

MN Fishing Bum

Re: Steam Plant?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
I always heard that this does  not heat up until it gets really cold!   

Gary

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Was thinking about it today.  A friend of mine told me old hickory lake was down to 58 degrees today.  Don't think it would be full of striper and skipjack.  But I think there's fish in there already.  Soon as I get a chance I'm heading that way.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
Was thinking about it today.  A friend of mine told me old hickory lake was down to 58 degrees today.  Don't think it would be full of striper and skipjack.  But I think there's fish in there already.  Soon as I get a chance I'm heading that way.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

Thx Gary.  Trying to get there maybe Sunday or Monday.  Let us know what you find.  Will do the same...
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
Best time to fish the steam plant is when everybody else thinks it too early...
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RonS81

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »
Haven't been yet. The water in Noland Cr was in the low 50's Tues. Should have tried the steam plant. Nice to see your out fishing, Gary.  :D

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
Smaller schoolie stripers should be in by now.  They can be fun on topwater at night when it's happening.  Bass fishing is probably still good on crankbaits and plastic worms in the lower two thirds of the discharge canal.  Maybe still some catfish around.  I doubt the big moose-sized stripers are in yet.  They're still probably mostly upriver from 231 for a month or two more.

bd

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »
I am ready for the skippies!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:59:27 PM »
I am ready for the skippies!

They are in there.  Not in big numbers though.  Windy as HELL today.  I mean WINDY.  We caught some stripe, smallmouth, and skippies.  Not electric action, but enough to have a fun outing.  Wind was brutal though....

MN Fishing Bum

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Yes it was a very windy day.  With the currents, wind, and new boat it proved to be an adventure.   Huge schools of bait fish and lots of surface activity.   

Now the question is will this colder weather and rain bring in some larger skip jack and striped bass?   

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »
Hit the Plant for a little while today. The water was fairly muddy and the current was really hauling in the main channel. The water color and stiff wind made it a little tough but I hit some pretty good sized skippies, especially when the wind laid down close to dark. No stripers, even on redfins after sundown. It'll probably have to get a little cooler and a little clearer water before the stripers show up.

bd

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
Glenn & i hit it today, it tapered off about 1 PM, disn't catch into the 100's, there were quite a few, seemed to hit best when the sun came through.
Fun morning for sure.

Grumpy

Travis C.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »
For chasing skippies you guys throw clouser's and/or white bh woolly's? Would a 6 ips tip work or will I need my full sink line?

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
For chasing skippies you guys throw clouser's and/or white bh woolly's? Would a 6 ips tip work or will I need my full sink line?

They will both work great and a sink tip or full will both work well.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
They will both work great and a sink tip or full will both work well.

Thanks.. have to give it a try one day.