Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Thanksgiving at the Little Red  (Read 2869 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Thanksgiving at the Little Red
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »
Crystal, Jazzi, and I made it up to the LR for Thanksgiving after spending a little time in Memphis.  Her brother and his fiance were able to join us in the cabin for a wonderful holiday of relaxing, overeating, and of course fishing.

We had the cabin for 5 days, and on the first night, the river flooded 5ft over it's banks.  As the week continued, the water dropped out, and we were luckily able to manage a few fishing excursions.

Cabin at Lobo:

My kind of place:

Took Brandon, my brother in law, on a float.  For his first time flyfishing, he was able to get the hang of it, and was soon landing some nice fish on his own.  For someone raised in the city without the outdoors, he really seemed to enjoy everything.

While everyone else was sleeping in, shopping, and watching football....Jazzi and I found a nice chance to get away and catch plenty of fish.  Started off the morning catching dozens of nice rainbows in a deeper stretch on falling water, it was almost ridiculous how good the bite was on.  Then, I switched over to fishing shoals, and I found some beautiful browns staging up.  All fish were caught deep in the moss, hugging the bottom in deeper holes.  I kept the flies about 9 ft under the indicator, and the bites kept coming. Biggest fish fought and lost was about 8lbs.

Jazzi would rush to the bank, and inspect every fish that made it to the net.

Sowbug and Redass tandem....If you keep them deep, that was all I needed for this river.

Started raining hard the last day...making it easier to leave.  We loaded up the boats, and headed home.

It was nice to make it back to the LR.  It's been a few years, and it will probably be a while before I can make it back..but it seems to be in great shape.

Travis

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Thanksgiving at the Little Red
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »
Good stuff Travis, i need to get back over that way myself to bug the guys at OA, did you see anything of Phil?

Grumpy

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »
Nice TR Travis. I need to get over to the LR and fish it.

When did you get the new ride?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »
I wondered how it was going Travis. Glad you got a window and caught some fish.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
Thanks fellas,
It felt great to be back in Arkansas.  It's a haul...but worth it for the peaceful surroundings.

Grumpy...I didn't set foot in a flyshop.  Saw several guides with Clients...but I tried to avoid the crowded sections and let the Crawdad get us away to secluded hard to reach stretches.
Steve, we bought the Tundra about a month ago.  Love it.  Best truck I'll ever own.  Getting a camper shell in the next month so I can hop in the back and sleep by the fishing holes.
Mike: all this rain is flushing out the tailwaters, but it should make for some good lakerun mtn steelhead chasin. I'll be CA later Dec, but we'll have to chase a few in January.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:54 AM »
Sounds good. I may have the Cabin in BSF mid Jan.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:55:42 AM »
I am ready for some mtn fishing..
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum