Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 60 years ago  (Read 1264 times)

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
60 years ago
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
Found this TN Fishing Guide last night while looking for something else.

It's a little 4 x 9 guide which lists a few regulations (Resident Annual fishing license was $2), describes bodies of water across the state, and of course touts the many qualities of CV - "Champagne Velvet", a beer brewed by the Terre Haute Brewing Co.    ;D

The Caney Fork is mentioned to flow out of Great Falls Lake into the "new" Center Hill Lake.
It says Center Hill was filled in the winter of 1948-1949. 

My great uncle always told me they used to catch muskie in Daddy's Creek up on the plateau when he was a kid.  Not that I didn't believe him (everything else he told me was true, right?  :-\), but this guide mentions the same. 

It also has multiple reference to safety in and around TVA lakes & dams.  As of the 1952 printing, 481 people had drowned since the lakes had been constructed. 

One major cultural difference...the advertising hypes the packaging as being "throw away".  It says "No drudgery" in returning bottles.  Just throw away the cans... :(

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: 60 years ago
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »
That's a dandy Fred. I imagine someone would pay good money for that. Might even be worth making some nice copies. I've got some really old outdoorlife mags that I like to get out and look at from time to time I think they are from the early 50's. 
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
Fred,

That is just cool! Thanks for sharing. The cultural norms are so different from then to today. It is good to revisit those changes from time to time to see what is positive and negative and what best fits for today's era.

That might be worth some money but it is also worth keeping for the memories.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »
Looks like the guy on the cover has had few too many CV's himself, and has busted his ass whilst fighting a 12" rainbow with what appears to be a fly tied directly to the fly-line.   ;D

Nice find!
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
& the Math is correct ;)

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
I wonder if it was awkward to fish with that big old creel basket hanging around your neck.

bd

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »
& the Math is correct ;)

Pay-stub minus taxes?
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead