Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 12/11 Winter Stocking Excursion  (Read 2966 times)

Travis C.

12/11 Winter Stocking Excursion
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
Went and checked out a winter site this past Sunday morning. It was a little chilly but not unmanageable.
I know they stocked it on Wednesday but the fish must have been hunkered down and not in the mood for anything. I caught a few non-trout species but since that wasn't my target the trip was empty handed.

Is normal for SA floating line about the first 6ft to sink in really cold temps? Its brand new and I chalked it up to maybe ice but thought I'd ask. I have never had it in the water so hopefully nothing is wrong with the line. Could it have been then leader pulling it down?

I will be back on Tuesday to check it out with a lot warmer temps and see if it does it again.

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: 12/11 Winter Stocking Excursion
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »
Sinking floating lines really piss me off considering how much lines cost these days. Sometimes it's not the line though. It all depends on alot of things. How do you connect your leader.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Travis C.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »
I have a section of 30lb mono nail knotted to the fly line then a loop on the other end. The line has never been cut or anything since put on. All it has been is on my reel in my rod case which is stored in the closet.

The same line is on my 6wt and never had a problem.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
Sinking floating lines really piss me off considering how much lines cost these days. .

I couldn't agree more especially when they tout how good their lines are with the fancy coatings and such.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
I fish a 6wt Rio Outbound short on my Predator and after a 3 or 4 trips, it started sinking too.  I tried washing it with dishwashing liquid as the Rio Customer Service rep suggested but after about 15 minutes of fishing, it started to sink again.  I called the guy back and he asked that I mail him the line and he sent me another one.  It's the only one I've ever had a problem with and they corrected it. 

Travis C.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
I fish a 6wt Rio Outbound short on my Predator and after a 3 or 4 trips, it started sinking too.  I tried washing it with dishwashing liquid as the Rio Customer Service rep suggested but after about 15 minutes of fishing, it started to sink again.  I called the guy back and he asked that I mail him the line and he sent me another one.  It's the only one I've ever had a problem with and they corrected it. 

I may give that a try Rusty. I emailed one of their product developers that I had spoken with in the past on other topics but have yet to get a response.

Rusty

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
It's well worth a try.  I can't say enough about the customer service at Rio. 

Travis C.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »
Here is my email back-n-forth to the SA guy

ME: I took it out yesterday morning for the first time since buying it and about 6ft up from the leader did not float. The air was in the teens to low 20's but I would not think that should has as big of an impact. My set up was a 2x leader loop-loop onto the fly line with a short section of tippet to a nymph under an indicator.

What do you think caused this and how do I fix it?

Him: Travis

The leader and fly can pull down the tip of your line.  Monofilament does not float and will sink.  This is probably what's happening. We've countered this issue with our Dry Tip technology which uses a special higher floating tip section.

Travis C.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:18:03 AM »
I don't know if there was confusion on his part in the response or what but I have never seen a nymph fished under an indicator pull 6ft of flyline underwater while the indicator still floated.....much less brand new line. :-\

Grumpy, I get some aquaseal or zap-a-gap to see if the water was coming up the end. I couldn't feel anything wrong with it the other night. The only thing left it could be unless made wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion on how to fix it.