Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Elk river 3-6  (Read 2142 times)

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
Elk river 3-6
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:53:08 PM »
I got to fish the elk for a couple of hours this afternoon. Fishing was good with a san jaun worm being the best fly for me today. I tried a few different nymphs, but couldn't get a take. The san juan worm has been a good producer for me lately. The big fish of the day for me was a nice rainbow that was 17" and very chunky.

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Elk river 3-6
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the report Adam. Did you venture far downstream? Also how was the clarity? 
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:37:44 PM »
Nice report Adam...I need to get to the Elk soon, always been good to me.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »
The water was at its usual clarity today and we were a few miles down from the dam. There were very few people on the water. I saw zero cars at the dam as we passed it, except for  a canoe shuttle. The only people we saw all day were a group of guys on a canoe camping trip and a crazy old local on a horse telling tales of stomp and left-hand cigarettes.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 05:57:08 PM »
The van/trailer you seen at the bridge is Ben my neighbor, runs the canoe rental above me, the van was still there today, I'd say the canoe campers you seen was Ben and his buds, late 20's with a thick beard, great young man. He likes to do a long float before his busy season. This past fall he put in at his house and floated to the bridge on Hwy 72 west of Athens, Alabama.

Was was clear at the dam today, went with my uncle for a few relaxing hours, we were going to float from the dam to Farris Creek Bridge but the wind got up so we stopped at the small island and paddled back.

Trout were rising to midges just around the turn hole, I was doing something I've not done in many a year, riding in the front of a jon boat and throwing Rapala's, uncle was using worms and corn. He has a good bud who is a disabled Vietnam vet and wanted a mess of trout, so we ended the day with 13 stockers.

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »
I was able to fish the elk for a few hours today. We caught a lot of fish. None of them were very much bigger than stocker size. Really small BHPT's and big san juans were the flies of the day. The BHPT was almost criminal later in the day.