Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 04.28.12 Float  (Read 7768 times)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
04.28.12 Float
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
Floated the Clinch Saturday with a couple of Pals's and what a day it was. Started out by meeting at 4:45 and heading to Knoxville to meet our shuttle. After suiting up we moved to the launch, rigged our rods and off we went.

75 yards in, bam, fish on, we continued to float and fish for while until we got away from the launch area crowd. Once this happened, we anchored up and started wade and fish to some very nice water. Numerous fish to hand for all of us making this a really fun day out. Then it happened, I hooked a frickin' toad, he botled once he figured he was hooked, took all my slack line and made the reel scream out. Man this great, as I brought him in, getting in close, I could see him, beautiful Bow, right as I had him within a distance to hand, he came out of the water like a dang Tarpon and shook my fly. I am sure that there were a few choice words that came out of my mouth when that happened.

We continued to move down river and had numerous doubles. We would find the next shoal and fish it hard. All of us picking up numerous fish in each area. Sometimes, calling out were to cast and getting the fish.

As the afternoon warmed, the Sulfers started to hatch, not in the numbers we hoped for but they did produce a few fish on dries.

As we got near the take out, the water was extremely low, we had to walk the boat for while so we didn't bang the crap out of the bottom. When we took out, it was dark and we had enjoyed a great day on the water. It was time for food and the drive home

I only took one picture the entire day.

Float by flyfishtn, on Flickr

Pal's, thanks for the great day and looking forward to another one really soon.  :D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Looper Flies

Re: 04.28.12 Float
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:26 AM »
Great report, Steve.  The Clinch is a beautiful river.  I try and fish it every time we visit my wife's family, that is, if the generation schedule cooperates. 
Fish on!

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »
Sounds like a really fun day on the water! Almost got talked into making the drive up, but stuck with (mostly) warmwater instead.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
I would love to float it sometime , it sounds like a great way to spend sometime
I just don't care!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »
Glad you guys had a good time.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TheYiman

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Awesome report!  Gotta love days like that.

tnsojaman

Re: Re: 04.28.12 Float
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »
Sounds like a great day.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread but if anyone could share some info about the river I would appreciate it.  They will be running 0 generators until 2 tomorrow.  Is the river wadeable with 0 generators?  Never fished there and trying to decide between there or the hiwassee.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
Nice!  I had to work long days all weekend, and managed about 90 minutes on the water just before sunset on Sunday.  Glad you guys had a great day out!  8)
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Curtis Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
Great way to spend the day. Good to hear you got hooked up!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re: 04.28.12 Float
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
Sounds like a great day.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread but if anyone could share some info about the river I would appreciate it.  They will be running 0 generators until 2 tomorrow.  Is the river wadeable with 0 generators?  Never fished there and trying to decide between there or the hiwassee.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Very wadeable on zero generators.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »
I would love to float it sometime , it sounds like a great way to spend sometime

Jarrod, your new drifter with basically a bullet proof bottom would be great on the river on low water.  :o
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
Jarrod, your new drifter with basically a bullet proof bottom would be great on the river on low water.  :o

How fast does it fall out? I've only fished it wading a couple times, and can't remember if it would be doable with my jet or not. Would hate to get stranded up there waiting for them to turn the water back on...

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
Jarrod, your new drifter with basically a bullet proof bottom would be great on the river on low water.  :o

How fast does it fall out? I've only fished it wading a couple times, and can't remember if it would be doable with my jet or not. Would hate to get stranded up there waiting for them to turn the water back on...

If I remember correct, they only did a one hour pulse and we had to pick our way through most of the river. If I was a betting man, I would bet against running your boat up there unless they were generating.

I would say drifter, yak or pontoon boat would be the way to roll.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
Great day out Steve.  I've always heard how great the April-June fishing can be.  Most times I've hit it the late August low O2 had them shut down.  We'd stick a few pigs on highwater streamers, but the bites would be sparse.
However, late season Stripers gang up around the Clinton ramp area.

Dave, I really think you would be fine launching from Clinton or Peach Orchard...but I'd stay away from MillersIsland if the water's dropping.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »

Dave, I really think you would be fine launching from Clinton or Peach Orchard...but I'd stay away from MillersIsland if the water's dropping.

We launched at Peach Orchard and floated to the Jail. It was L-O-W when we got down to about 1.5 miles above the jail.

If you can catch the pulse right, you would be ok. Might have to walk it in a few places.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum