Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Buttersides...  (Read 2233 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
Buttersides...
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
It has been a good weekend. The parents came up to visit, so not much fishing. All the usual signs of summer abound....

I took them to the trout stream to show them where I fish. I could easily spot fish and wished that I had thought to grab the fly rod. However, that would have been selfish of me.

As soon as they got on the road today I headed straight to the back to the stream with plans to fish all day. After a short hike....

I arrive here...

It didn't take long to connect with a little camera shy brown...

I snuck up on this guy...

I thought it was a beaver at first, but it didn't have a flat tail.Maybe it's a nutria rat? Not sure if we have them here, but I wouldn't know what else it would be...

I switched locations trying to find some decent water. The water was extremely low. I have never seen it this low since I have been fishing there.

Before long, I'm back into the little buttersides...

I wish I had a greenie weenie with me.

I had to dodge a few canoes and several spin fisherman. Needless to say I didn't get to fish how and where I wanted. Maybe there are still a few larger ones waiting. I missed a few good strikes, but I had my 3wt, so a "good strike" can be misleading.

This was the biggest of the day...
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Travis C.

Re: Buttersides...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
Nicely done.

Nutria are both in Alabama and Tn. Tennessee more recently but Alabama a lot longer.

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
Someone suggested it might be a muskrat. They are found around AL and TN.
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Nice Job Matt!!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
Someone suggested it might be a muskrat. .....

Yup muskrat.

Nice pics.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:31:21 AM »
Nice work and TR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum