Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Low water....  (Read 2889 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
Low water....
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Met up with Aquaholic to float the Elk. We have been talking about floating it for some time and glad we finally got to. The trolling motor was a huge help, to get past less productive water in a hurry, and to try and out run the multiple floatilla's. Neither of us wanted to get on the water at the crack of dawn, so we met up there around 8:30.

I got there a little early, so I decided to check out the river from my usual spot. It's a nice drive through the country, the kind that mandates windows down and some good music playing.

Not sure exactly why this was here...

I arrive to find this....

Not what you want to see at a spot where the only other fishermen I have seen were fly fishermen. Oh well, time to head on down to the dam.

The water was low, which was a concern, but the scenery was still nice.

Given the low water, our goal was to fish productive (moving) water and motor through the calm water. I was dead set on fishing a terrestrial dry and dropping a small midge about 18" below it. Hunter went with a double nymph rig. For the first half mile or so, we had to dodge tubes, kayaks, canoes, wade fishermen, etc. When we came upon a nice run, we would anchor the boat, get out and fish it thoroughly.

The only problem with that is that as soon as we would get out and make that first cast, we would hear something in the distance. Quick! Get a couple of drifts and then step aside while the drunken rednecks slap paddles across the run.

It was entertaining though. We heard things like:
"Billy, where did you put the corn?"
"It's in the radio cooler."
"Do yall have any more beer?"

Hunter fishing a run....

We motor along, with a lot of water looking like this...

At this point, we had only fished 3 or 4 runs and Hunter hooked into several fish, landing a couple of bows. Time for some casting fuel and a lunch break.

After lunch, we get to another run that has a few fish rising. Just downstream of the fallen tree, fish were rising close to the bank. The cast was a difficult one to make. It was hard to get a good, drag-free drift over fast water casting into slack water. After several casts, my dry disappeared and I brought to hand a colorful little brown. He hit the dropper.

There were still fish rising and I continued to cast into the slack water, when a fish cleared the water, taking the hopper this time.

We couldn't get any more fish to cooperate there, so we motored on down to find almost every other area swamped with swimmers. On the last stretch before the take-out, I took off the dropper and just banged the banks with the hopper pattern. I missed a few violent blow-ups because I wasn't paying attention. Saw one small rainbow in slow motion rise to take the hopper, only to miss (him not me).

My last fish of the day was a pleasant surprise. I had heard that they put some in, but haven't caught one. It is now confirmed (via photographic evidence) that brook trout are indeed in the Elk. Not as good as the real thing, but I'll take it.

After I finally got the hook out, sent him on his way...

The water was extremely low, record lows even. The flow was just as bad. Typically it is 300-400cfs this time of year, I think it was 68cfs Saturday. The fish probably saw us way before we saw them. Needless to say the fishing wasn't off the charts, but the beer was cold, conversation was good, and I did get some fish slime on my hands.

I enjoyed it Hunter. We'll have to do it again soon!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Low water....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
Nice trip report and some cool pics. I can sympathize on the floatillas, was on the Caney this past weekend and it was insane.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: Re: Low water....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
great trip report as always Matt!!!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Travis C.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:30:35 PM »
Looks like fun.

I have my two hopper boxes stocked up and ready for the rest of summer. Fun fishin...

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
Looks like fun.

I have my two hopper boxes stocked up and ready for the rest of summer. Fun fishin...

Probably my favorite type of fishing, hands down!  ;D
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
Matt...I enjoyed it.  We caught fish and got some of them to eat on top.  If you are going to fish the Elk, I think it makes more sense to wade it right now.  Sorry I didn't take any pictures

I definitely need a radio cooler....