Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: The changing Elk  (Read 1477 times)

oldmanelrod

The changing Elk
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
Fished from Farris Creek to Old Dam Ford on 14 July 12. As it has been this summer the water was lower than the water norm and the temp higher than the norm for this time of the year. No great mystery there with the weather we have been having since march. Like most of the reports caught lots of small brook trout and browns down to the Kings Hole. After that the trout fishing dropped radically. In return for not catching trout in long shaded runs and deep pools where I have caught them in the past I caught smallmouth, redeye and largemouth. I caught more smallmouth and redeyes on 07/14/12 than I have caught in my previous 25 years fishing it combined. Not a bad trade off a smallmouth for a stocker trout but I do like my trout. Also saw an otter (it was much to big to be a mink) and its babies playing on the river bank-how cool!
Here is the my obsrvation. Could the elk from Farris Creek down be changing. The number of bass that I caught this week end makes me wonder. I also wonder if the warm water (81 degrees) discharged from the water cress farms above and below the Farris Creek bridge could be having a bigger impact on the river than people think. Especially when you consider the low volume of watter and warmer than normal temps that the Elk is experiencing this summer. What do others think. Call the EPA on the water cress farms?

mrl0004

• FishHead
Re: The changing Elk
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »
Have you caught any smallmouth at farris creek bridge? Just curious how far before you start catching bass. I never fish too far down from the bridge.
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

oldmanelrod

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
Have you caught any smallmouth at farris creek bridge? Just curious how far before you start catching bass. I never fish too far down from the bridge.

Closest to the Farris Creek bridge I have caught them is about 1 mile down stream at the Kings Hole.

DSchlact

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:01:05 PM »

Closest to the Farris Creek bridge I have caught them is about 1 mile down stream at the Kings Hole.

We had the same experience more than a month ago...and I'm sure the water is warmer and lower now than it was back then.

My guess is that the river isn't changing permanently, just a factor of this season and the unusually low amount of rain we had this spring.

Dave