Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 9-10-12 Report  (Read 4754 times)

Troutfix

9-10-12 Report
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
A group of us made our way east for the weekend and fished the Clinch.  We camped at the Norris Dam State Park (East) Campground, which was great.  Fished Friday and Saturday and floated from Peach Orchard to the Hwy 61 takeout both days.  I was suprized that we only saw a couple of other people both days, during our float.  This was the first time to this river for us, so we were amazed at all the character it has.  So much structure to hold fish.  Rock ledges everywhere.  Good for fish, but not gelcoat.  :)  The fishing was pretty good.  Plenty of average size fish, but nothing huge.  Caught a few in the slot.  We fished it on 0, 1 and 2 generators.  On Saturday, there was a bad accident at the weir dam.  A man was in a boat on the upper side under generation.  He got up next to the weir and somehow he was thrown from his boat and he went over the dam.  We heard he was killed.  So sad to hear news like this.  Can never be too careful!  We all had a great time and look forward to heading back that way before too long. 

Troutfix   

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
Re: 9-10-12 Report
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »
That is sad news.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:07 AM »
Thanks for the report. I'm thinking about heading that way soon.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

oldmanelrod

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »
Troutfix,
Would be difficult to float the Clinch in a jon boat when two generators are going?

Troutfix

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »
I would not think so, as long as the Jon boat is average size or better.  I would also want more than one source of power, just in case.  6,700 CFS is alot of water, as I am sure you are well aware.  Under two gens, there are a couple of spots with whitewater, due to the rock ledge shelves.  I was with some guys that floated it in a standard Riverhawk and had no problems at all.  Best of luck.

Troutfix   

Rockyraccoon

• Rocky Top Anglers
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
The fishing is often much more difficult with water running. Not impossible by no means but tougher nonetheless. If your heading this way, I'd try to get on the water when it's low.
Goo Goo Ga Choob!

I'd like to go where the pace of life's slow. Could you beam me somewhere, Mister Scott?
Any old place here on Earth or in space.You pick the century and I'll pick the spot.

oldmanelrod

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
I would not think so, as long as the Jon boat is average size or better.  I would also want more than one source of power, just in case.  6,700 CFS is alot of water, as I am sure you are well aware.  Under two gens, there are a couple of spots with whitewater, due to the rock ledge shelves.  I was with some guys that floated it in a standard Riverhawk and had no problems at all.  Best of luck.

Troutfix   

Troutfix,
Thanks for the info