Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Steelhead Alley trip.  (Read 6796 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Re: Steelhead Alley trip.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »
It was an excellent trip. I can't add very much other than I went outside in robe and slippers this morning and 45F felt downright balmy.

Genius, madness, or both simultaneously.

Ice balls weren't as fun as shadcicles.

The smallest fish of the trip was the fish I'm most proud of:  a stalk, belly crawl through briers, several minutes of playing cat-and-mouse with a flashy streamer and a foot of leader out of the rod tip, a smashing eat, and the mayhem of sliding down the bank and coaxing the fish out of a spiderweb of logs and a fallen tree. It made all of the disparaging comments from the lineup worth it.

I didn't notice the discarded mug photobomb until afterwards.

I think a fall trip is in order... 

jgray

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
Y'all were living the dream!

A very cold version of the dream, but the dream nonetheless.

Thanks for a great report and pics! 

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
Great TR and pictures.

Awesome work! Now to thaw out.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
Looks like a blast. Nice job guys.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Yeah, it looks miserable......I wanna go!!! :-) ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »
Fall trip already in the works...
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
2/3 hiking  ??? I'm out
I just don't care!

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
Nice...I cant believe you told folks about Lake Erie. That was one of my go too's and now other people know about that lake.
 Damn it. ...  Looks like I will be guiding back on another river.  The C.F....... 

Awesome report, it sounds like Dave, Travis, and Jay all have the FOALT bug.  Those kind of trips always seem to be the best ones.   Things are tough, its cold, and the wind blows.   Thank you for your time behind the machine, and your words.

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

TheYiman

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Nice work!!!  I gotta do that.  Hard work and cold fingers paid off.  :D

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys.
Steelhead Alley is a great place and should be on fire in a week or two.
When you mentioned trading off on pods of fish it brought back memories.
All you can think is "let's catch every damn one of 'em".   ;D

Fishing the Muskegon on Thursday. 
Will let you know how it goes.
The run seems to be about 2 or 3 weeks later than last year.

Fall is O.K., but spring is the thing.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
When you mentioned trading off on pods of fish it brought back memories.
All you can think is "let's catch every damn one of 'em".   ;D

That's EXACTLY right! We started to wonder how many were left that hadn't been caught out of that one pool. This reminds me soo much of the good ole days on another river that used to hold some Brown giants.

Sight fishing to big fish with light lines and delicate presentations make my heart pound heavy. He didn't take that pass, adjust the drift. Still no take, adjust the depth,,,,right on the money he's gotta eat it this time, closer,,closer,, perfect,,, mouth opens, indicator ticks, lift, strip set, head shakes!! For one very brief moment in time everything is right in the world. Nothing compares.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

mnfisher

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:07 AM »
Thats awesome Mike!  Way to put in the hard work and effort for your rewards!

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:23:28 AM »
You guys should be ashamed pestering those vulnerable fish like that.  ::)
A true sportsman would target them in the lake, presenting your fly 150 feet in a perfect deaddrift between the ice flows.

I'm jealous, even though it looked bone chilling cold.  Definitely gonna chase those steelies one day.  Beautiful fish!

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »
Almost forgot this one. There were a lot of fish tucked way back under the banks. I love how the main fish covers his eyes and thinks he's invisible. I didn't notice the second fish until I got home and downloaded pics.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »
You guys should be ashamed pestering those vulnerable fish like that.  ::)
A true sportsman would target them in the lake, presenting your fly 150 feet in a perfect deaddrift between the ice flows.

I'm jealous, even though it looked bone chilling cold.  Definitely gonna chase those steelies one day.  Beautiful fish!

Yea I felt soooo guilty fishing to fish that were clearly getting ready to spawn. That lasted about .5 milliseconds. Then it was drift, flip back up stream and drift again, and again.  :D
At least we released them to live long enough to be recaught by the meat crew and have the egg sacks ripped outa their belly and their fat sides filleted out.
I'll be taking a fillet knife next trip. I can't wait to grill one of those bad boys back at the motel.

Travis you would have loved this trip. You should make plans to go with us next time.