Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Birthday Reds in Donkville  (Read 2059 times)

Aquaholic

• FishHead
Birthday Reds in Donkville
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

Several weeks ago, I asked my wife what she wanted to do for her birthday; she quickly replied that she wanted to go to South Louisiana to fish for redfish.  That was easy, because that’s what I wanted to do also.  NOLA is a quick and easy jump from Nashvegas.  Done…flights & accommodations booked, now watching the weather for weeks…..

Thursday afternoon, I was at the airport, beer in hand watching the Tournament and waiting on my plane.  When we landed in NOLA, we picked up bags, jumped in the rental and made the hour drive south.  We arrived in time for some fantastic South Louisiana food which I have missed for the last few months. 

The weather for the next few days was spotty at best…overcast and windy, with a small craft advisory for Sat.  We knew that our best chance for fish was going to be in the morning…better make the best of it.

We had a good day considering the visibility,the day ended the day with a small red.  It got frustrating seeing puff after puff of mud as another fish blows out in front of the bow.  The fish were acting weird both days.  They seemed to be sitting on the bottom, not feeding or really even wanting to move.

When we got back to the take out, this guy was waiting on us…not sure if he was lost or what….

The next morning we woke up to dense fog, but no wind…..our little friend was waiting on us to see up off.  We had calm conditions in the morning and found some tailers.

We couldn’t find a fish after 12pm and wind picked up so we headed in.  Crocs were waking up from their winter nap though….we didn’t see one on Friday, but several were out in the marsh trying to warm up on the grassy points Saturday.

Some guide ingenuity.....

DSFK

Sunday we woke up to blue skies, go figure…..and headed into New Orleans for good sammy at The Butcher and flight home.
[/report]
Can't wait to get back down there next fall.... :cool

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Birthday Reds in Donkville
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »
I'm officially inspired to go back down to Donkville! Awesome report and camera work!
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Looper Flies

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »
Saw this on the Drake.  Nice.  I've chased east coast reds, but thats all.  My sister-in-law lives in New Orleans.  I think I may need to visit some family and check out the Gulf Coast reds.

Fish on!

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
One of these days...Crystal is ready to head down there.... Just gotta work it out with baby girl.  We'll probably scheme something next Sprimg or fall.

Great post.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »
Solid work! Getting me excited for 'Cola in a few weeks (St. George's)!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
Luv the dock Boga. ;D  Nice pics too. ;)

jladdsmith

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
Was wondering what the bag of Granny Smiths was for.  My family has always had horses and every great once in a while you'll find one that has a ton of personality and acts like a big goofy dog.  Horses don't run up on concrete pads unless it's the only way into the barn. Donkey Dog isn't lost.  He's found.